GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS510 and Canbus???

carlos2006

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey just ordered a RNS510 for the car to upgrade the stupid standard head unit, i've got an 04 MkV golf and have been reading that i will need to upgrade the Canbus gateway? As older cars have experinced battery drain

But most things i have been reading is regarding the RCD510, so don't know if this is applies to my case. Any Help???? :thumbup:

And does anyone know how much this upgrade is from the stealers :paddle:

Last edited:

yvrnycracer

Never has enough power...
For me the RNS510 was totally plug and play.... the car recognized everything right away... no coding required.... All the MFD functionality etc was right off the bat...

Enjoy it... so much better than older/simpler head units!

carlos2006

Passed Driver's Ed
I love them, my mate has one on his. But 'cause mine is an early model (04), i'm thinking i need to upgrade because of the battery drain (forgot to mention that in the first post lol)

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
Hey just ordered a RNS510 for the car to upgrade the stupid standard head unit, i've got an 04 MkV golf and have been reading that i will need to upgrade the Canbus gateway? As older cars have experinced battery drain

But most things i have been reading is regarding the RCD510, so don't know if this is applies to my case. Any Help???? :thumbup:

And does anyone know how much this upgrade is from the stealers :paddle:

You CAN bus is version 1.6... the RNS-510 uses CAN bus 2.0.

carlos2006

Passed Driver's Ed
So then a trip to the stealers is needed then!!!

Thanks for the info, now i'll have just expect to get my wallet emptyed by them. Does anyone know any approx price???

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
Big news from Aussie. I have upgraded last week from MFD 2 satnav the the rns510 which was a straight swap. I then updaed the firmware and now it has power drain which has only now been realised. Read these links they will help. i just order the latest gateway. The link for that is also provided. PM me with any questions.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99499

http://www.my-gti.com/1101/upgradin...210-rcd-310-rns-310-rcd-510-power-drain-issue

You need this

http://www.skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product&prod=153&menu=%A9koda

anile_eight

Go Kart Champion
I just tried something... And it seemed to work fine. I turned off the unit before i turned off my car. It sat overnight (12hrs) and it started like normal. I did not do that the first night and my battery was practically dead... it did not want to start (it did after about 5 seconds)... that is one temporary solution i guess until the gateway comes in.

It's not terribly inconvenient, but if you forget to do so then you could be in trouble the next time you try to start your car....

m3waj

I just got RNS510 version H and the guy I bought it from just used a CD which installs itself to edit the firmware and I dont get battery drain. I have a 2004 54plate golf GT TDI. I previously had mfd2 which is shit.

m3waj

VW RNS BATTERY DRAIN easiest fix

I just got RNS510 version H and the guy I bought it from just used a CD which installs itself to edit the firmware and I dont get battery drain. I have a 2004 54plate golf GT TDI. I previously had mfd2 which is shit.

Only problem is when i turn the unit of whilst car is still running the stereo is supposed to show the time which looks really good but doesnt since cd has been use to fix battery drain problem.

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats because the CD (or rather DVD) most probably downgraded the unit to an older firmware, which doesn't have that feature...