GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil for GTI!!!

DubtecV2

Touring Car Newbie
Got my oil changed yesterday at the stealership because I had to drive almost 600 miles.....OUCH!!!!!! $73 effin dollars!!!!!!!!

magilson

Passed Driver's Ed
McPsycho V said:
im pretty sure the maual says to use 5w-30 which is why i put that in. im gonna check in the morning to see what it says again.

The manual might say 5w-30, but that doesn't matter. What actually matters is that you get an oil that meets the VW 502.00 spec which is what the mkV GTI requires. Mobile 1 5w-30 does not meet this spec, Mobile 1 0w-40 does. So you put the wrong oil in. Change it when you get a chance, or leave it in and take a chance. It's up to you.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
magilson said:
The manual might say 5w-30, but that doesn't matter. What actually matters is that you get an oil that meets the VW 502.00 spec which is what the mkV GTI requires. Mobile 1 5w-30 does not meet this spec, Mobile 1 0w-40 does. So you put the wrong oil in. Change it when you get a chance, or leave it in and take a chance. It's up to you.

so you're trying to tell me that the manual is wrong? i guess i should just run 87 octane too then huh?

Nimble

Oval Champion
McPsycho V said:
so you're trying to tell me that the manual is wrong? i guess i should just run 87 octane too then huh?

You didn't seriously just post that did you? Jeeze....seriously man, read and think before you look like an idiot. The oil, no matter what, has to meet V@'s requirements, not just a random viscosity. So yeah if it's not the factory VW fill, 5w-30 isn't a rule of thumb, it's a guideline for thickness, for an oil that NEEDS to meets VW's seal of approval.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
Nimble said:
You didn't seriously just post that did you? Jeeze....seriously man, read and think before you look like an idiot. The oil, no matter what, has to meet V@'s requirements, not just a random viscosity. So yeah if it's not the factory VW fill, 5w-30 isn't a rule of thumb, it's a guideline for thickness, for an oil that NEEDS to meets VW's seal of approval.

ok, so i just reread what the manual says and i guess i didnt read it correctly and i didnt put the number 1 choice in but the 5w-30 is not in any way gonna damage my car at all. but next time i do put in oil i will add the 5w-40 or 0w-40. which one do you guys think would be best? sorry, i really dont know much at all about oil and the thickness and all that shit i just saw a number and said ok, ill put that in. so nimble, ease up aight?

Last edited:

magilson

Passed Driver's Ed
McPsycho V said:
ok, so i just reread what the manual says and i guess i didnt read it correctly and i didnt put the number 1 choice in but the 5w-30 is not in any way gonna damage my car at all. but next time i do put in oil i will add the 5w-40 or 0w-40. which one do you guys think would be best? sorry, i really dont know much at all about oil and the thickness and all that shit i just saw a number and said ok, ill put that in. so nimble, ease up aight?

Don't worry about it, totally new cars have a lot of new things to learn.

I dunno about it not damaging your car though. Mobile One specifically says it does not meet VW 502.00 spec on its 5w-40. I believe them. It's your car but i'd change it out if I were you. Running oil that can't handle high temps through your super hot temperature as well as other nuances of a turbo engine is just a bad idea. If you have evidence to prove otherwise I'd be interested, until then I'll trust the manufacturers.

Further read:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1377972

magilson

Passed Driver's Ed
dmclone said:
Anyone know of any places to get mobil one cheap? Does Costco sell it?

The two places I can get it are Wal-Mart and Checker Auto. Wal-Mart is cheaper by around $0.50 and I paid $5.22 for the Mobile 0w-40 at Wal-Mart. However I'm usually at Checker to get something else as well...

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
I am currently using Mobil 1 0w40. Obviously on the bottle it says its 502.00 certified which is what I care about. Does Mobil 1 offer a heavier grade of oil that is 502.00 certified? If they do not have another grade of oil are there any other brands which are 502.00 certified? The reason I'm asking is because I am from PA and the winters can get pretty cold here. Wouldnt I want a heavier grade of oil for the winter? Please help. I'm due for my oil change.

Mateya

Mateya49

Oval Champion
Car(s)
06GTI, 02Lincoln LS
Basically I am due for an oil change and I wanted to put a 502.00 certified oil in my car. I wanted a heavier grade that the Mobil 1 0w40. What would you put in your GTI for a cold winter?