GOLFMKV

The Golfmkv OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
The shitting thing is that you'll be at fault because you rear ended the other guy. I don't think I've ever seen a case where the guy in front is at fault.

According to my insurance agent, the person in front is usually "25% at fault", whatever that means...

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
So crappy, if it is totaled what are you gonna do next?

Probably a current-gen turbo beetle convertible, lowered and tuned if I choose to take the car-poor-forever approach, or maybe combine the insurance check with the tax return check and buy something cheap and not pick up a new car payment. Something in the 10k range. Or put the check into getting my Caddy back on the road again, pocket the difference. Who knows.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
Probably a current-gen turbo beetle convertible, lowered and tuned if I choose to take the car-poor-forever approach, or maybe combine the insurance check with the tax return check and buy something cheap and not pick up a new car payment. Something in the 10k range. Or put the check into getting my Caddy back on the road again, pocket the difference. Who knows.

Beetle vert? But why???

Sorry about your car btw. Any pics?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Beetle vert? But why???

Sorry about your car btw. Any pics?

Beetle vert isn't ideal (because wussy) but it makes sense for me on a number of levels. I've wanted a fast convertible for a few years now since I've already owned sporty coupes, sedans, and hatchbacks, and I've never owned a convertible. I'd love a motorcycle but the risk is too high, so a convertible is the closest thing to the open-air motoring experience but with the safety of 4 wheels and more sheetmetal protecting my soft bits.

Why a beetle vert, then? It has a familiar layout, there's a VW dealership within walking distance which I have a good relationship with and which has serviced my GTI for years. I'm familiar with the VW aftermarket and have a pretty good sense of the pros and cons of various parts on modern cars, from personal experience building my GTI. Decent on gas, should be reliable, new enough to get a decent apr hopefully. Plus it is one of the few legit 4 seater convertibles on the market. They also tend to be cheaper than comparably equipped GTIs. And finally, my goal of cracking 12s in the quarter mile should be do-able with this platform. Tell me a high 12/ low 13 second car wouldn't be fun with the top down?!

I almost traded my GTI in for a 2003 Cobra a couple of years ago, but the interior was just too crappy, gas mileage would have been ridiculous, and I didn't want to pay new-car money for a vehicle with 50k miles on it. This car with a F23T or hot K04 setup should be just as quick as a stock Cobra and be much cheaper and nicer to drive as a long-distance commuter. Plus it'd be way different from the ubiquitous moarlow+hella expensive rims du jour MKV builds you see at every car meet. I know a convertible beetle seems like a weird choice at first, but hopefully you can see why it'd make sense for my specific wants/ needs.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I'd drive a new beetle

This man gets it. Plus it'd be amazingly fun to romp with Camaro SSs whilst wearing a cravat, goggles, and cranking ABBA just for comedic value.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
haha, abba

Im not even close to being cool enough to rock a droptop new beetle.

I'm probably not either, but I'm at the point in my life where there are very few fucks given. :thumbup:

Seriously though, this would be more about my own enjoyment of the driving experience than about doing it for scene appeal or street cred. I spend 2-3 hours in my car every day on a boring-ass commute. I'd love to do it with the top down, and up the visceral experience of going fast in a straight line, which is far more interesting to me than going around corners (since there are exactly zero interesting roads within an hour's drive from me).

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
I'm probably not either, but I'm at the point in my life where there are very few fucks given. :thumbup:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I actually prefer you're styling. Stupid ginger jew fro and all. I love the whole Kyle Broflovski vibe you got going on.

*your :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.