GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Did the rabbit console a week ago. That armrest console is heavy as hell. You wont believe it till you pull it. Good job at deleting a ton of stuff. My cars getting slightly gutted as I go too [emoji16]

Part number 1K0 863 323 C

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Ditch the center console or swap fother the OEM Rabbit if you really want one. With the addition of the wing this winter I think I'm going to fully gut the rear up to the front doors like you. Also keep tossing the idea around of deleting the sunroof this winter while I'm at it. I already have the delete plate.

What delete plate do you have? I'm keeping mine for now but it'll go too once I get my truck sorted out

Did the rabbit console a week ago. That armrest console is heavy as hell. You wont believe it till you pull it. Good job at deleting a ton of stuff. My cars getting slightly gutted as I go too [emoji16]

Part number 1K0 863 323 C

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How much are you planning to strip out?

Hmm, I do like having an armrest but you guys have me thinking about this now

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
What delete plate do you have? I'm keeping mine for now but it'll go too once I get my truck sorted out

How much are you planning to strip out?

Hmm, I do like having an armrest but you guys have me thinking about this now
I want a delete plate myself. And that thing is just heavy as hell. If you were close id say come over and pic up my assembly

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Got a little more work done this weekend. Had to wrap up the winter prep by taking the driver side wheels off and cleaning them before taking them indoors. Also went ahead and took the battery out of the car this time around. After that I pulled the driver seat out and took it inside. Since the car is sitting on jacks on one side of the garage I have very limited room to open the driver door so I needed to empty the car as much as possible. After that I pulled out the headliner with the help of an online DIY. It wasn't hard but I couldn't imagine how anyone could pull it out without damaging it because it's held in by a ton of metal slips all the way around the sunroof. I didn't do any serious damage to it but I bent it in a few places while trying to pull the clips out. Not that it matters because I cut it into small pieces with some tin snips and tossed it in the garbage. I tossed out the rear grab handles too but I put the front handles and the sun visors back in for now. I don't remember ever using the grab handles but they've been useful to pull myself up while crawling around inside the car. Also not sure if I'm going to keep the visors since I'm going to be running a windshield banner anyway. If I get rid of them I've been thinking of getting one of those wink mirrors and using the visor mounting holes to mount it

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Did you weigh all the shit you pulled out? Curious on weight savings.

I didn't weigh the headliner but it wasn't very heavy at all. Definitely 10lbs or less so I'm 120-125lbs less than stock at this point. Not a huge amount but there's still a bunch of stuff left to pull out

This is the best photo I've seen in a really long time. Love it.

Thanks, it's one of my favourites too. Definitely one of my artsier shots

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Go pro mount for passenger's oh shit face?

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Haven't posted in a while, I got pretty busy with family get-togethers for a few weeks in November so I had to work on my car off and on whenever I could. The new thing I was hinting at is being worked on now, and here it is. The last picture I posted was super cryptic but the vent is the little bit of black seen through the windshield. It's a fiberglass extractor vent made by Ken Suen (bigredksr on Instagram), he has a 9th Gen Civic that ran in Global Time Attack.

I was going to cut the hole myself (I even went and bought an angle grinder) but it only took about five seconds before my garage started smelling horrible so I decided not to. Instead my mechanic came by with his F-150 and took the hood to his shop. He did a preliminary cut the size of the vent opening but it's going to get much larger to fit the actual vent in. And while he's at it I also asked him to weld up the badge notch so I can finally go badgeless. I already ordered a new grille and a tow hook plate mount to relocate my front plate.

Aside from this I've continued working on the interior. I've taken the radio out and I'm going to buy a Samsung tablet to go over the hole and to use for a few things (data logging, podcasts, lap videos, pictures of my car, track-side entertainment). I'm thinking of having a piece of carbon cut that I can screw into the holes that held the radio and then using magnets to mount the tablet onto it. All the carpet and insulation is out except a tiny piece of the carpet by the gas pedal. I figured out how to remove the dead pedal so I got that part of the carpet out but for now I just cut around the gas pedal and left that bit in. The center console is out. You guys were right, the armrest/bin part is really heavy so I won't be putting it back in. I'm just going to put my carbon console back but leave the back end of it open.

I think my next move is to take out the rear speakers. I want a way to listen to podcasts on the way to and from the track so I'm thinking of getting some bluetooth speakers and mounting them to the cage using a roll bar mount. That way I can mount them behind my seat and just take them out on track.

I also need to pull out the HVAC vents that lead to the back of the car. There's the one vent running through the center console but there's also the two that go to the rear footwells. They actually run down the sides of the center console, into the front footwells and under the front seats so without carpet you're basically standing on them. I'm thinking I'll cut them where they run down the center console so they'll still function as front footwell vents

This was how it all looked last weekend

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Got a couple small updates this week. I pulled the rear speaker panels out of the car. They each had a couple screws that wouldn't come out (they just spin in place so I'm thinking they were over torqued at the factory and the threads are stripped) so I quickly took a dremel to cut the plastic trim around the screws just to get the panels out. I'm going to take the screws out in the Spring, whether I can drill them out or have to grind them out with a Dremel I don't know.

I started looking into getting a half cage this week too. I called a body shop in Toronto that was listed as a distributor for Autopower and they gave me a price. When I talked to my mechanic about it he said he'd call Autopower directly and see if they can work something out. He ended up asking them to set him up as a distributor so he's working on the paperwork for that now.

I stopped by his shop last night and took a look at the progress on my hood. The vent almost fits now, it just needs a couple small cuts so the back of the vent sits a little more flush. Once that's done the notch will get welded and we're going to look into removing all the bracing on the bottom side to reduce some weight and get rid of all the places water can collect now that's it's all cut up. I might need to put some aerocatches in at that point to keep the hood securely shut.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Crazy awesome!

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
No update with the car itself but I did a cool little thing with my gear today. I ordered these wall mounted helmet holders a few weeks ago and when I got home from work on Thursday the packages were here. They're made of aluminum and have a wood peg that holds the helmet up. You can throw stuff on the flat part too, I'm probably going to use it for my gloves, sunglasses, and maybe driving shoes

If you're wondering why I got two holders it's because I'm planning to buy a new helmet this season. With my plan for a half cage and harnesses happening now I'm going to need a HANS device so I decided I'd buy a new helmet with built in anchors. I'm going to have my current helmet retrofitted with anchors so I can get another HANS and let passengers use it. That way my neck is safe and anyone that wants to ride along is safe as well. Won't be cheap but I'd rather spend the money than possibly cause someone harm