GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Fluid - To Change, or Not to Change?

whitepony5.0

My Car is Red :)
Car(s)
06 GTI
I was told by my dealer it was safe to wait until 60k...but by then it needs to be changed for sure

zlarson

Some of them have no idea about either how to do it or what you are actually asking.

229 is a reasonable price, assuming they are actually are talking about the dsg tranny and not a regular one.

i called the $229 place back and said "DSG, are you sure you are talking about DSG?!?" they knew what i was talking about and that it would take ~2 hours so I'm getting it done there on Saturday.

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
i paid 300$ at the dealer to do my dsg. that's like the same price as getting the kit from ecstuning. dealer took 3hrs, they wanted to cool down the car b4 working on it.

if u were to do it, u need vag (which i dont have) or something to monitor the fluid's temp towards the end of the maintenance. it's a tedious work

huy

Retired Racer
if you race, you would change sooner... but yes, follow VW's recommendations under normal use. unlike some manufacturers who recommend fluid changes too soon, they are actually pretty good with that.

piston

Options
i paid 300$ at the dealer to do my dsg. that's like the same price as getting the kit from ecstuning. dealer took 3hrs, they wanted to cool down the car b4 working on it.

if u were to do it, u need vag (which i dont have) or something to monitor the fluid's temp towards the end of the maintenance. it's a tedious work
ECS DSG fluid change kit is $140.
$20 to make a fluid change tool using a rubber stopper, 2 feet of 3/8" clear hose and a bug sprayer.

You can get a used Vagcom cable for $150-200, which will become usefull for other things after the DSG fluid change.

3 hrs sounds about right but I did it in less than 90 minutes.
Let it cool off for an hour - yes, fluid is still hot but didn't burn my hands.
20 minutes to remove battery, change filter and inject fluid in to DSG.

*And you don't need to remove the bottom splash sheild to drain or access the DSG fluid drain/fill hole.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/DSG_40K_Service.pdf

piston

Options
Some people say its a closed system, etc. so it doesn't need to be changed, but the manual says change at 40k....
Fluid protection and lubrication properties do tend to wear out/break down after time and exposure to excessive heat.
My DSG fluid was black when I drained it at 30K and the new fluid is gold color like honey.

Last edited:

whitepony5.0

My Car is Red :)
Car(s)
06 GTI
Eeh, I wouldn't leave it so long. VW recommend 40k for a reason, if you don't get it done your mechatronics unit won't like it.

Well I got mine changed out when I got a new Mech unit under warranty at 34,000 miles.... I was just passing on what the dealer told me.
I would also stick to the manufacturers guidelines.

BlueIce5249

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I got lucky. My DSG just got fixed 5K before my 40K so now I don't need to replace my DSG fluid! Which is a life saver because I didn't have the money anyways lol! Being funemployed sucks :mad:

The Wraith

Ready to race!
I was under the impression the dealer did it during my 40K mile service. 20K miles later I find out it was never done, so I approved the work, etc. I'm all set until I'm at 80k miles now...sweet. Too bad that will be in like 2 months. I need to add the timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, new shocks, coilovers perhaps, etc, etc. Oh well, I'd gladly keep my GTI another 3 years and 160K miles or so if possible. The car is just too precious to trade it anytime soon. It has not given me one single problem that I've had to fix out of pocket since the warranty expired over 20K miles ago. God bless my GTI! I am so happy and grateful that it brightens my days. Amen, Jesus. Much gratitude to V.W.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It's a wet clutch. Definitely change the fluid. The clutch is bathed in that oil and when the clutch rubs against the flywheel, small particles from the clutch will wear off into the oil. The filter should catch a lot of it but there is heat and wear involved. Do it. The DSG is way too complex and expensive to neglect.

salukiwildcat

Nun Bewbs FTW!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I'm at 46K, and I'm having mine done today. Especially with the DSG issues we've been seeing on here, I think that it's a no brainer - if your car IS under warranty, by all means have the service done. It would only be one more reason for a dealership to decline service work under warranty if something goes wrong with your transmission, and that sh*t is expensive.

Fsuroxu

The Pentosin kit is $105 on Amazon and it takes about 2 hours (including cooldown time). If you can change your oil, then you can do this. Easy peasy!