GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Sludge on Oil Cap

ratboyyy

Cubicle Worker
there was a topic on this, but i think mine is different

well since it got cold, there has been a thin layer of thick foam on my oil cap, the other topic said this was normal, but today it was 0 degrees out and i rode around for 15min and checked the cap, there was thick sludge on the bottom of my oil cap and looking inside where you pour the oil, it was there also, and on the tip of the dipstick there was a smudge

is this engine sludge?? i'm pretty worried and my dealer is closed today,

on a side note, i missing about a QT of oil since i kept putting off topping it off (this may be the reason for the sludge, overheating of the oil), i have 16000, 6K since my last oil change, i'm following the manual since i'm using mobile one synthetic 0-w40

any help is appreciated

2zzge

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
sludge is black tar-looking goo that is very tacky.
you literally have to soak the parts in solvents and scrape it all off with a putty knife.

if you're talking about the cream colored slurry, its most likely normal.
its condensation.

i just went on an hour "cruise" today. i never went passed 40mph and stayed above 3k rpms as much as i could. (usually 3k-5k)

this was just so i could get the engine warmed up.
the battery fully charged again.
get any fuel vapors evaporated out of the oil.
get any water vapor evaporated out of the oil.

it was also a beautiful day here so i just wanted to get out and enjoy a nice afternoon drive.
a few tight corners...not too fast but just on the edge of traction.
a few jack-rabbit starts...no tire spin but enough to hear the engine growl.

fun stuff man.

go do the same thing. :thumbup:

ratboyyy

Cubicle Worker
thanks for the help, i was just getting worried since it was thick this time, but i guess that was the 0 degree weather and grandma style of driving i was doing.

just went out for a drive, haven't driven the car hard in a while, and the thick creamy sludge turned into the thin foam, so another 15 min it probably would be gone, but at -4 degrees, i'm cold and getting tires to stick for "spirited" driving is impossible, lol