GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

superunleaded or normal

combicol

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I HAVE HAD MY GTI SINCE JULY LAST YEAR AND WAS ADVISED TO USE SUPERUNLEADED, IWAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER OWNERS WAS PUTTING IN THEIR CARS. THEIR IS ONLY A COUPLE OF GARAGES THAT SELL SUPER NEAR ME AND IS ABOUT SIX PENCE MORE A LITRE THAN NORMAL. IWOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN THE TWO AS IT CAN NOT HELP MPG AS I AM ONLY GETTING ABOUT 26 MPG.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
It'll be Super for me when I get it.. Not sure which brand yet though.

My TT felt smoother and pick up was better with BP Ultimate, Esso 97 or Tesco 99.
Optimax always fely a little rough after about 100 miles..

Others will go Optimax all the way and are concerned about the cleaners used in supermarket fuel..
I'll go with which one "feels" the best.

In Oregon i think the max you can get is 92, and i will be running that.

if i am correct in believing 92 is the highest should i run the apr 91 chip or the apr 93 chip???

DaGoNeT

Go Kart Champion
Here in Spain is recommended 98 octans for the GTI...

Minimum here is 95...

Regards!

nerf

Passed Driver's Ed
Running less octane than is recommended will not hurt anything.
Even if you are chipped with say a 93 octane program and run 91 the ECU will retard timing if it senses pinging. All higher octane does is make the fuel less resistant to compression detonation. This results in the ability to advance the
timing.

oh and to the OP... try not to use all caps it's the same as shouting.
:tweetz:

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
I hate to disagree but the in a turbo running 87-89 will result in piston damage over time. Unless it is an emergency don't go below 91. The unique shape of the 2.0t pistons help with effective compustion, if you use cheap gas 87-89 you run a much greater risk of detonation resulting in piston head damage. I have rebuilt WAY too many engine because people thought the grade of gas didn't matter.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
101st_IanC said:
It'll be Super for me when I get it.. Not sure which brand yet though.

My TT felt smoother and pick up was better with BP Ultimate, Esso 97 or Tesco 99.
Optimax always fely a little rough after about 100 miles..

Others will go Optimax all the way and are concerned about the cleaners used in supermarket fuel..
I'll go with which one "feels" the best.

I do the same, a lot of people swear by Chevron here in the US but from personal experience I like Shell the best. :wink:

dmclone

Oval Champion
I read somewhere that the whole gasoline at different stations is a myth. Something about in the old days each would have their own blend but now the EPA decides the blends. This is why you see one truck fill up multiple stations. I don't know whether this is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Herby

Autocross Newbie
dmclone said:
I read somewhere that the whole gasoline at different stations is a myth. Something about in the old days each would have their own blend but now the EPA decides the blends. This is why you see one truck fill up multiple stations. I don't know whether this is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me either...The only myth I hear that I think isn't really a myth at all is you'll get better gas from newer gas stations (the tanks are cleaner)

GTT

Touring Car Champion
dmclone said:

When it relates to Joe's Gas, yes "Joe" doesn't have a refinery and thus he buys from whoever is giving him the best deal. So, it could be decent fuel or not. You pays your money and ya takes yer chances when using gas stations of that type.

However, if you go to a BP/Amoco, you are getting fuel made by BP/Amoco with it's additive pacakge. If you go to Shell, you will get Shell made and formulated fuel.
You won't find BP/Amoco fuel in a Shell pump. And, the fuel is NOT the same in this scenario.

Now, go to a Speedway, or GasCity or any big chain type gas station and it would be your guess as to what fuel there is in there. It could possibly be the same fuel that Joe's is selling.
You'd have to call the corporation of the chain and ask which supplier sells fuel to them.

So, the myth is a myth. There is different fuel at different stations depending on the station and who operates it. My preference is Amoco/BP. I like that their fuel is clear. It's probably more marketing, but I like the way their fuel makes my cars run.
In the Chicago area we have a LOT of Speedway gas stations and their fuel varies in smell and appearnce and in function. I ride motorcycles as well and you can see the fuel you're using when you fill up. Amoco/BP truly is clear. Shell is close but darker. Speedway and smaller no name gas stations can have Mountain Dew looking fuel which can range from there to more brown to more red. There IS a difference in appearance and smell.
So, it's not all the same fuel.

The EPA requires that fuel meet certain regulations and that the fuel you buy is the fuel you get. So, if you buy 93 octane you are not getting 90. So, yes there are reg's that require certain things and may exclude certain things, but overall there is room to play and that keeps a competitive market for quality. Most people don't care. Their view of quality is what is the cheapest per gallon. That would be my parents. But then, they drive low/no performance vehicles like most people. :biggrin:
I want the most performance our of my vehicles as I can get, so I pay attention to the fuel I buy.

TT

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I have always used Quick Trip gas. they guarantee their gas.....I guess that is why.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
nerf said:
Running less octane than is recommended will not hurt anything.
Even if you are chipped with say a 93 octane program and run 91 the ECU will retard timing if it senses pinging. All higher octane does is make the fuel less resistant to compression detonation. This results in the ability to advance the
timing.

oh and to the OP... try not to use all caps it's the same as shouting.
:tweetz:

NERF ,

you are absolutly correct. running 87 octane gas in this engine only reduces the horsepower, it will not hurt the engine or piston.

I work in the oil industry, and most branded and independant stations can and do get gasoline from other brands. Each distribution center has all the additives that each major brand sells. when the truck loads, it loads the additive package for that brand.

The blend of gas is different for every shipment. because every refinery is built with different processing units, they will all have different components to blend gasoline.

Everyone has to blend to the octane required, and the vapour pressure required for your area, and time of year. In northern canada, our vapour pressure targets change every month. So the components that go into the gas changes continuously. I can run regular gas 87 octane in my vette with 10.5 :1 compression, and not have a problem! It just doesn't perform as well, and doesn't give me the power I would expect with higher octane like 94+

same with my GTI, if you read the engine manual, it states that 87 octane is fine, just doesn't deliver the same horsepower.:headbang:

:burnrubber: