GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird ticking noise from rear when stopping.

vw4ross

Autocross Champion
I've noticed a ticking noise when coming to a stop twice in the past week. It definitely isn't the fuel lines, as the noise is a clicking noise coming from the right rear wheel area. Both times it happened as I was leaving from work. I have to drive up a steep hill and make a stop at a stop sign. Then another stop 1/2 mile down the road. It is like a constant ticking noise coming from that area when pressing the brake. It is not related to vehicle speed either, cause I can be at a dead stop with my foot on the brake...and the noise is same frequency/intensity. It goes away after 2 or 3 miles (or 5 minutes). Kinda odd I have never noticed as I leave for work in the morning, just leaving the office to come home. This is the only time I've noticed it, so I dunno if maybe the steep incline has something to do with it. Also, my DSG hunts for the right gear and is all confused when on this same hill...but my issues with this transmission are another issue.

Any idea what could be causing this ticking when coming to a stop? I'd take it to the dealer, but they won't be able to replicate the problem. Thanks!

BlackmagicMKV

Touring Car Champion
Yeah I have the ticking from the rear too. but no problems with gears but I have the 6 speed

MKV GTI

Autocross Champion
sometimes i hear a click in the rear under the car. it kind of sounds like something opened? it happens probably once every day for me. i have no idea what it is though.

Yesterday's Fish

I hear this from the right rear as well. Usually at a dead stop, it sounds like a dull squeak and a tick. Tick sqeak, tick sqeak and so on. I've got a DSG, but don't have any issues. I'm in the same boat as vw4ross, I'd take it in, but it happens infrequently enough that they'd never reproduce it.

äußerst schnell

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
This happens to me as well (approximately once a day). I have a six speed. I find if I pump the brakes a couple of times, it dissipates. Hmm... No drivability issues (as stated by everyone else), but curious.

MkV_2.5

Ready to race!
I get that from time to time when I leave... does it sound like a pump? I think it's the windshield washer pump for the rear wiper..

äußerst schnell

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI

Yesterday's Fish