GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine code AXX.

Gene Hunt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK 5 GTI
First off all a big hello froma mk5 GTI owner over in the U.K.Do any of you guys have the engine code starting AXX ? and if you do i believe they were on some of the first mk5 GTI's from around 05 ?.
My question is do any of you have a sort of a diesel rattle sound when the engine is warm on what we call tick over or as you might say at idle ? i.e waiting at junctions or traffic lights etc ?.
Some of us over here are starting to have this problem & VW U.K. don't want to admit to any problems,just wondered if you folks had the same & have you any joy with VW U.S.A. Thanks in advance guys.:thumbsup:

06vdubgti

Go Kart Champion
hey gene, I don' have the engine code Axx .. how ever my car is one of the earliest 06's built on the new mkv platform and I haven't anything unusual coming from my car, just the usual direct injection sound, nothing too extreme.

I'm pushing near 84,000km on my car now, hopefully the issue is resolved for you !

Gene Hunt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK 5 GTI
Thanks for that.It's going to VW on saturday,car has done 68000 miles,has had timing belt/water pump replaced etc (genuine VW parts).There is no lose of power & the engine only makes the diesel rattle on tick over & when it's warm.Having dug around on some U.K sites it points towards the small oil pump chain (lower left hand side of engine) or the cam chain (upper right hand side of engine).Just wondered if it was showing up over with you guy's.

SDM

Ready to race!
No don't think so,points towards the chains!!!!!.As above going in to VW saturday & see what they say.:smile:

Get them to check your cam-follower, that's were I would go first.

Is the cam-follower a big deal/topic of conversation for you guys in the UK like it is here?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Get them to check your cam-follower, that's were I would go first.

Is the cam-follower a big deal/topic of conversation for you guys in the UK like it is here?

Cam follower is not a problem on AXX code engines.
@ the OP, also consider signing up here if you haven't either, it's a UK-based Mk5 GTI forum:
www.mk5golfgti.co.uk