GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

annoying cd player issue

timeconsumer325

Passed Driver's Ed
hey guys i've had my gti for about two weeks now, and i'm absolutely loving every second of it.. . . . except for those seconds with the cd player on. When I listen to the cd player, there is a weird almost static noise that becomes very annoying. It isn't constant and it almost sounds like your speakers when a cellphone is about to ring, except the phone never rings. :iono: Does anyone have any advice? By the way, I have the nav system so i have the cd player under the armrest. Also, there is absolutely no noise listening to either xm radio or standard radio. Ok, thanks in advance guys.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
maybe its the CD changer or the CD's....are they burnt CD's....if so maybe there is a problem with the burning of the CD's

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I have the in-dash 6 disc cd player and the only annoying thing I have is the clicking noise it makes when you try to change cd's and you go from like disc 6 to 3 or something. Does anyone elses make ticking noises during this time? I just assumed it was normal but thought I might as well ask.

As far as the static noise goes: Does it do it on both burnt and regular bought cd's? If so you may want to try a cleaner kit to it or simply take it in to the service shop. Actually, I'd probably take it to the shop first. I never get that kind of noise in mine.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I think it sounds a little cheap and "plasticky". Look, I made up a new word. Anyways, I've had 6 disc that have shuffled disc quieter (that's for sure). Sounds like something I'd expect in a Hyundai or Kia. But thanks for letting me know that it appears to be normal for the car.

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah I'd definitely test it with "regular" and burnt CD's just to eliminate the most obvious possible issue first. Though I don't think that'd be the problem, it's better to get that out of the way. It's only with CD's and not the radio? That's odd for sure... I'm no sound guru, but from a logical standpoint it doesn't seem like it would the laser, maybe just a wiring issue? Wires crossed, or a damaged wire maybe? I think the service dept. is the best bet =/

Discotheque

Go Kart Champion
I've had an issue with burnt CD's having static noise in them, it didn't appear to do it with genuine CD's though. I remedied my problem with the program and method with which I burnt my CD's.

I have the nav and stacker in the centre console.

timeconsumer325

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks guys, but it isn't just burned cds. Even traditionally purchased cd's are giving me the noise. I was wondering if I should just spray some of that compressed air in a can stuff down there, but I don't want to risk f'in anything up.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
timeconsumer325 said:
thanks guys, but it isn't just burned cds. Even traditionally purchased cd's are giving me the noise. I was wondering if I should just spray some of that compressed air in a can stuff down there, but I don't want to risk f'in anything up.

if thats the case...i would say hit the service dept. and see what they have to say

GolfKart

I've had this problem, too (burned and store bought CDs). The service department said they couldn't troubleshoot it because it's an intermittent problem. It's happened twice now, and I think if there's a third time I'll go in and demand a new headunit. Unless there's an external amplifier or something in the system (doubt it) the problem can only be with the headunit.

Might be an excuse to get a new Navi Headunit.