GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

brake pad warning indicator

TornadoGTI

Ready to race!
at what point does this come one at? it just popped up on the ride home and was wondering ... the outside pads look fine ... although i havent gotten the chance to check the insdie ones ..

SlowNLow

MOAR LOW
loose break pad sensor? it happens to me if i hit a big pothole. the light will come on then go away eventually

Baldmonkey

If the pads look fine I would look at the sensor.
On mine the electronic connecting block between the brake pad and the wiring loom had cracked and when damp it would short creating a false warning on the dash.
Wiggle each sensor with the ignition on and ask someone to sit in the car to see if the light comes on the dash.
If it is the electronic block you can solder the wires back or replace the block completly. Do not believe the garage if they try to sell you a new wiring loom as mine tried It can be fixed easily.
I believe the pad has a wire part way through the wearing part of the pad, which when worn enough becomes exposed creating a complete circuit against the disc lighting up the warning light. So the light should be a constant.

Last edited:

TornadoGTI

Ready to race!
so as i suspected ... the pads are fine and the light still ccome on ... im not one to solder wires or anything so i might replace the block ... any idea where i can go about getting one?

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Clip the wire from the pad and solder or otherwise join the ends together, plug it into the car and the light will go out. Not a very professional solution, but works if you don't want to change the pads.

Baldmonkey

Your local vw part department will have the right connector for a couple of quid and your local garage should be able to fit for an hour labour or wait until you replace the pads and ask them to fit it then. You can cut the wires and find a way to join them permanently, that will turn the light off but you will have to make mental note and replace the pads when they look low rather than relying on the light. Make sure you find out which sensor it is before cutting. I would borrow a soldering iron and practice on two bits of wire first. It really is not a hard job and it doesn't have to look nice just work.

Baldmonkey

On my RHD the wear sensor is on the front passenger (left) side of the car and the wire comes directly from the brake pad to a electrical block around 8" from the caliper. The wiring on each wheel is for the ABS and comes from the back of each hub.
(I replaced the block and works fine).
Can you see if the block is broken and check that it was the fault?
The wire you cut which side of the block did you cut? Car or pad side?

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Then it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere else. Don't cut the car's wires though. I'd check the connectors first and clean them with some electrical cleaner.

And yeah, there's only one sensor and it's on the left side front wheel.

Baldmonkey

Good, you can always buy new pads to reconnect that. Did you wiggle the connector to see if the dash light would flicker to confirm that is the issue? I have been looking at the wiring diagram and am wondering if it could not be the hand brake switch? This is located under the central console between the seats. Two star screws behind the hand brake and one in the cup holder. Lift the plastic out of the way and wiggle those wires. Just a thought.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
loose break pad sensor? it happens to me if i hit a big pothole. the light will come on then go away eventually

yea I'm with ya on this, was doing some backroading yesterday and my front right tire lifted over a hill, my abs went crazy and my brake pad sensor went off. Didn't turn off till this morning. I know my pads are fine though.