GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best suspension setup to lower my car?

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Went to the shop a few weeks ago and they told me the stock suspension is going bad (has 130k miles on it). Originally, I was just going to let my local shop install new shocks and struts, but they won't install aftermarket parts for me, so I am just going to get a friend to help. However, this means I have to do some research myself on what I need to buy.

I have been looking around in the stickied post about the subject of aftermarket suspension, but I know very little about this topic so it was hard to read with all of the mechanical lingo going on. I've been looking on Tire Rack, but I am equally confused.

I guess I am just looking for some advice on what kind of springs, shocks, and struts I need to buy to get that good lowered look (but not too low, it snows a lot where I live and the roads aren't super smooth). Links to the recommended products would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I drive a 2007 GTI, and the wheels are 17' or 18'.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So far, I have run stock, Koni FSD with Eibach Pro-Kits and most recently I ran Bilstein Sports for the MK6 and Eibach Sportlines. Last one being my favorite for looks and handling. I live in SoCal so don't have snow and the rougher roads you find in those regions.

Bilstein/Eibach Sportline combo even did well at the track. This was a K04 car 335whp.
Also a very affordable solution. Here is a pic of how the car sat with that setup.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
So far, I have run stock, Koni FSD with Eibach Pro-Kits and most recently I ran Bilstein Sports for the MK6 and Eibach Sportlines. Last one being my favorite for looks and handling. I live in SoCal so don't have snow and the rougher roads you find in those regions.

Bilstein/Eibach Sportline combo even did well at the track. This was a K04 car 335whp.
Also a very affordable solution. Here is a pic of how the car sat with that setup.

Oh wow that setup looks really good. What do you mean by Bilstein/Eibach Sportline combo? I understand they’re different brands, but is one used for springs and the other for shocks and struts? Sorry, new to all of this stuff so I don’t really know much about anything involving modding yet.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
I have the Bilstein's with H&R springs. Similar to GIAC's car as far as drop. Whatever you do don't buy any of the cheap Chinese coil over kits -they are garbage of the first order.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Oh wow that setup looks really good. What do you mean by Bilstein/Eibach Sportline combo? I understand they’re different brands, but is one used for springs and the other for shocks and struts? Sorry, new to all of this stuff so I don’t really know much about anything involving modding yet.

Yes Bilstein struts and shocks. Eibach Sportline Springs

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Another vote for the Eibach Sportline springs here

Although I'd pair them up with Koni Sport struts and shocks instead, for a comfortable ride.
Or, if you want to save ~$100-200, pair them with some Koni STr.T struts/shocks instead of the Sports