GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft Position Sensor CEL

Choicecut

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a CEL that kept coming back for the past few weeks, so I stopped into Autozone and had the car scanned tonight. It came back with:

Code:p0340
Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) Intake circuit bank-1
Open or short circuit condition

Probable cause:
Poor Electrical Connection
Faulty CMP sensor

Since my car is out of warranty I have to do this one on my own, even though I think it is a result of the ignition coil explosion that burnt up half my engine bay 14k miles ago. Anyway, I ordered a new one from PartsGeek. The car runs fine, so I am assuming it is just the sensor. Has anyone had to change this out? It was dark out, but I went and poked around with a flashlight and I think I found it on the top left side of the engine where the timing belt runs? Any advice or pointers would be great.

The car is a 2006 GTI 2.0 with 74k. I searched the forums a bunch for info on this, but only came up with threads that said: fixed under warranty!

Last edited:

tweak666

When this baby hits 88...
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
explosions? engine fires? out of warranty?

sub'd.

Choicecut

Passed Driver's Ed
explosions? engine fires? out of warranty?

sub'd.

Ha! It was back in July of 2010 when that happened. 59k miles on the car and just about to go out of warranty. Went to start and nothing happened but the burning smell of electrical. An ignition coil exploded and caught fire. Got hot enough under there to burn a hole in the valve cover. Burned up a bunch of electrical stuff too. All covered under warranty. The mechanic said it was probably around 5k in damage. I have 74k on it now and it started to throw this code. I have this gut feeling that I will have electrical issues for the rest of my ownership of this car, but oh well. I am running it until it falls completely apart!

I was stoked to see that they actually made the airbag fault on the 06 GTI's a recall last week. Gonna call the dealership tomorrow. I have been bitching about that light and "Airbag fault!" message for months!

tweak666

Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
Did this happen after the ignition coil recall???

alphabits

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GLI
@ tweak

Ohh yea man, this was very recent, like in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I got my letter last night! Already had the recall taken care of when I was in for service a week ago.

tweak666

Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
alphabits - will check my vin today... i haven't received anything yet.

Choicecut - that's scary... I wonder if the dealer fcked up the installation. It's the simplest of procedures, but I still wouldn't put it past them!

Choicecut

Passed Driver's Ed
alphabits - will check my vin today... i haven't received anything yet.

Choicecut - that's scary... I wonder if the dealer fcked up the installation. It's the simplest of procedures, but I still wouldn't put it past them!

Could have, but I would be more apt to put it as volkswagen junk electrical components. I have around 10 pages of stuff, all electrical, that has been replaced on it since I bought it new. If VW cars didn't look so freaking sweet and were a bore to drive, I would write the company off! :23:

Choicecut

Passed Driver's Ed
Resurrection!

I replaced the cam position sensor myself for 70 bucks about 3500 miles ago and the code went away. Thought all was well, but CEL popped on about 10 days ago and will not go away. Had it scanned and it's the same 0340 Cam Sensor Intake bank 1, open or short code. I also had the recall on my airbags done when the cam sensor was changed and my Airbag Fault is back. I am also getting a surging/pulsating when the engine is cold and rpm around 2k. Joy!

Anyway, would buying a vag-com from ross-tech be any real benefit to me in this? I am considering taking it to a VW Master tech to figure out what's wrong, but it's 100 bucks just to plug it in. Will they tell me what's wrong or will they keep it a secret so I pay them for the fix? Could this be my cam follower causing the issue? I am determined to drive this car till there is nothing left since I have sunk so much money in it with only 78k miles. Any info, pointers, advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dave 111

possible solution

If it says there's a "short", you might try using dielectric grease on the connectors.
I had one of those connectors short on a headlight on my Lotus last year. The headlight kept flickering.
I replaced part of the ECU before tracking it down to a loose connection in the wiring harness connector.
That grease worked perfect.

~Dave