GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Pressure Help!

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
Hi all.

My Candy White GTI with 18 in hufs doesn't tell me the pressure I should pump my tires to.

I only have the data for the 17" rims on my door-jamb - so I don't know what pressure to pump my tires to. And I'm about to go on a 600km drive!

Can anyone tell me the pressure for the stock 18s? :bow:

Thanks!

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
dennykrane said:

Hey - I see you're from NYC! any tips on good, safe parking garages on Manhattan where I can park it myself for one to three days? (as opposed to having some guy melt my clutch as he parks it :cry: )

Thanks!

dennykrane

Autocross Champion
mouch said:
Hey - I see you're from NYC! any tips on good, safe parking garages on Manhattan where I can park it myself for one to three days? (as opposed to having some guy melt my clutch as he parks it :cry: )

Thanks!

i live in the suburbs of the city, so i get my own spot in front of my house. personaly i would go somewhere that doesnt look shady, you will probably pay more, but its in-doors and usually worth the cash.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Check your tires

Just a heads up for everyone:

I went to check my tire pressure the other day before a road trip and was shocked to see the pressure at 45 psi:eek:

Seeing that I bought my car a few months ago and never have touched the air pressure, I don't even want to know what the dealer had them pumped up to.

gti mkv

Ready to race!
MHS216 said:

I went to check my tire pressure the other day before a road trip and was shocked to see the pressure at 45 psi:eek:

Seeing that I bought my car a few months ago and never have touched the air pressure, I don't even want to know what the dealer had them pumped up to.
what usually happens is they set the pressure to the correct pressure from the factory. from there the car is shipped to its distination. depending on the climate, altitude, and conditions, the tire pressure will either increase or decrease. you should check your tire pressure regularly. i like science. :thumbsup:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Should it be a once a week thing? or once a month etc. I really don't have any idea how easily the pressure can fluctuate.

mouch

Drag Race Newbie
I usually check it once a month or so. And as I live in Montreal, where the temerature changes from -30C to +30C between winter and summer, I always make sure I check them on the first warm day of spring and the first cold day of winter, as temerature makes a big difference.

But that was all with 16" rims - now that I have 18s, I'm guessing they'll lose pressure more quickly from hitting pot-holes and stuff. But that's just a guess...

PS: Always check the tires when they're cold - i.e. after the car has been parked for at least 4 hours or so, and on a level road (not a hill), as those things will not let you get an accurate read.

gti mkv

Ready to race!
:thumbsup:

gatorfast

man amongst boys
MHS216 said:

Same thing for me...I checked my pressure for the first time after getting my car about a week and a half ago and it was around 43psi...I lowered all tires to around 37psi.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Tires are pumped up for shipment purposes (normally 10 psi more than recommended).

What you all are finding is the Tech would did the "PDI" (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on your car missed lowering the pressure on all four tires (which is a standard part of the PDI). And that's all!

As a "good rule of thumb" you should check Tire Pressure and Oil Level on a monthly basis.

Car manufactures recommended pressures are based on "Cold" tire presssure not warm.

"Most radial tires, depending on compound type" can vary from 2-4 psi once warm (depending on ambient air temp) as compared to when the tire is cold.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I find this funny. So far, no dealer has checked the tire pressure. Mine had 45, makes me wonder if that's where VW recommends them even though the door says 35. Mine were cold 45psi. My car was located from one dealer to another. Edit: spoke to my service manager buddy and he told me the door number tends to be a little soft. I did notice the max psi on the tire was 51 psi, he said they're better off somewhere in the middle, so I'm going 40-42psi as I did notice the front tires seem to roll under some sitting still.

Last edited: