GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG clunk/thud noise

bri-dog

Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI MK6
I´ve noticed my car making a "clunk/thud" noise when the dsg shifts into 6th gear. Only happends when accelerating normal or even slow up to aproximately 50-60km/h. This is not happening when the dsg shifts through the other gears.

Anyone else having this with their cars? Posted this on another forum and a guy that had a new -08 had the same noise. Sometimes you can feel the "thud" too.

If something is wrong I do want to get it sorted while the car is under warranty.

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
take your car to the dealer for them to check it out ASAP! "Clunk/Thud" should not be discussed with DSG in our cars.

9Schnell

Euro-Elitist
Car(s)
2010 CC Lux
There should not be a clunk or thud shifting into gears btw.

You will hear some chatter but should never be smooth operation 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 then clunk to 6.

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
i have that noise ,

dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue

xminusx

Banned
Car(s)
The Failboat.
i have that noise ,

dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue

That sounds like like a load of BS. I would take it to another dealership for a second opinion. If it didnt make that noise when you drove it off the lot, why is it acceptable for it to make it now?

(btw, this coming from a guy whose mechatronic blew at 5k miles)

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
That sounds like like a load of BS. I would take it to another dealership for a second opinion. If it didnt make that noise when you drove it off the lot, why is it acceptable for it to make it now?

(btw, this coming from a guy whose mechatronic blew at 5k miles)

yes it didn't make that noise when i first drove it of from from the agent , nstd i had this loud Rattling noise* coming from my front , and the reason why i didn't hear the sound once i took the delivery its bcoz the car Engine Parts wr stiff and the car was in the break in period

thy fixed it then "Thud " sound came in , me and the garage manager in person test drove 2 different Rs ,one waz brand new 2008 production batch it it had the sound , the second R had 3500 Miles(DEC 2007 batch) on it had the Rattling nose but not the "Thud" sound ,

anyways if you want the Mechanical Explanation of the "thud" sound ill get it from the garage Manager once i pickup my .:R its in for Heldex Replacement

and btw m8 here in Bahrain we have only 1 agent for Vw ,

** Ps you will hear the Rattling noise from the Gearbox after 500 Miles

bri-dog

Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI MK6
Thanks for the information tWiStEd-tORqUe! At least now I can sleep a bit better at night knowing my gearbox isn´t messed up (sort of), not to say I would rather not have that noise!

I had my flywheel replaced and I cannot really remember my car making the thud noise before. My car was produced Feb -07.

It seems we all just have to wait for a software upgrade to sort it out...it sure sounds nasty at times :(

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
my dsg makes a click noise when shifting gears in manual mode, you cant hear it on the inside but on the outside when i drive with the windows down and no music you can hear it if its quiet in the area. You also hear a click noise when going to a stop and when it shifts into first. please tell me this is normal......

V12

Passed Driver's Ed
it feels normal, becuase i recently got my R too and its been doing that when it shifts between 1 and 2 in "D" going over speed bumps. you just have to know that DSG is probably whats makeing our cars supper at this moment, if any fualts were to happen to it.. whole car is worthless.

kgw

NotAThing
Car(s)
2006 A3 3.2 quattro
My 2006 A3 3.2 quattro makes what sounds like the tranny/engine taking out all the slack in the mount system when I get on it hard shifting manually. Slight noise, more of a feeling, as the full torque hits upon upshifting. Doesn't happen otherwise.