GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Thermostat Replacement

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
I bought the replacement thermostat from my local VW dealer (it's the entire plastic housing, not just the thermostat), but I can't seem to find its location. I can't find any DIYs on the web for the 2006.5 GTI, only the MKIVs and other non 2.0Ts. Can anyone give any advice as to where the thermostat is located? A picture, of course, would be invaluable.

Thanks.

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
chad1230 - the only thing near my oil filter housing is what looks to be the auxiliary coolant pump, not the thermostat. it looks nothing like the part i got from vw, so i'm guessing that's the case.

eurocars - from a diagram i saw, it looks like it's not easily accessed. do you know if that's the case?

xcrazydx

Crack Rock Fresh
Car(s)
2007 CW GTI
chad1230 - the only thing near my oil filter housing is what looks to be the auxiliary coolant pump, not the thermostat. it looks nothing like the part i got from vw, so i'm guessing that's the case.

eurocars - from a diagram i saw, it looks like it's not easily accessed. do you know if that's the case?

Right

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
xcrazydx - have you swapped the termostat before? does anyone know how to access it, i.e. what needs to be removed/moved?

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
No, haven't heard any info as to its specific whereabouts. The local shop quoted me $170 just for labor, I already have the part. I was actually going to take my car there today, made the appointment and showed up - they were closed. So, now I'm revisiting the DIY route, but I still don't know where it is.

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
So, just back from the VW dealer, they originally quoted me 1.4 hrs ($180) based on what alldata time estimate said. When I got there, the mechanic looked at it and said it's a 2.5-3hr job, because you have to (as mcpot just posted) remove the alternator and it's bear to get to. The dealer is going to do it for the $180 still, since that's what they originally quoted me.

jgeeky

Car(s)
2006.5 Red GTI
mcpot: getting cel for engine not heating up quickly enough. engine temp would drop way down when going downhill quickly. i think the tstat was just getting stuck open. no problems now. although, i also had the timing belt and water pump done while i was there since i was at 93k and never done. the shops i had quoted all thought it was either tstat or the sensor unit, most likely the tstat.

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
I have a problem with mine taking forever to warm up and I can't put my heat on anything above 2 our I can watch my gauge drop below normal and it starts blowing cold. Mine also drops when I coast down a hill. Need to find time to do the install myself maybe I'll make a diy when I do it to help everyone.

Tetley

Bit of a thread bump, but I've had the issue of water temperature dropping when driving downhill, I've now changed the thermostat and the coolant sensor, but the problem is still there, not sure what to try next.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Driving downhill I would assume you are not on the gas thus the RPM's are down. Possible issue with circulation of the coolant? Air pocket maybe?