GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Total cost for APR chip installed with 2 modes.

AngryFish

Go Kart Newbie
So what am i looking at on average for an apr chip with stock and chipped modes installed and out the door?

from the website it looks like parts cost alone is close to $800. Is that correct?

AngryFish

Go Kart Newbie
ok, that is good news I guess its time for me to start saving and hope they figure out how to enable launch control if possible.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Its not a part, They flash your computer. If you have a laptop you might want to wait a while, You can get an interface for about 100 bucks and Im sure the program will be cheaper after six months or so, You could do it yourself and be able to do other cars, or your own gain if you lost the program or had to change the ECM.

AngryFish

Go Kart Newbie
Well the main reason I was even considering a chip at this point was the possibility of launch control. that is something that I would really like to have even though I will probably not use it much at all. I also like the fact that the apr chip is stealthy as I dont want to loose my warranty.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I'm confused, does APR install a new chip into your car, then program that chip to perform? or do they just alter the existing chip with there software? Also can someone explain launch control to me? Is it needed for both DSG and Manual?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
I'm confused, does APR install a new chip into your car, then program that chip to perform? or do they just alter the existing chip with there software? Also can someone explain launch control to me? Is it needed for both DSG and Manual?

launch control is only for DSG trannys...atleast when it comes to our cars

launch control allowes u to rev the engine while in gear and then once u release the brake the car launches off the line...its sorta like revving up a manual and then just dumping the clutch to launch off the line

there is a video of launch control in action in the video section on this forum

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
I was charged $45 dollars by a ECS tuning location for my APR programs:iono:

/hug

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
Its not a part, They flash your computer. If you have a laptop you might want to wait a while, You can get an interface for about 100 bucks and Im sure the program will be cheaper after six months or so, You could do it yourself and be able to do other cars, or your own gain if you lost the program or had to change the ECM.

That's what I've been wondering too. I wasnt sure if APR would be selling the actual programs to regular customers instead of just the dealers. You can actually get the OBD2 interface from http://scantool.net. I've used this tool on my honda. Hopefully it will work with the VW. I think it will since Asian and European cars share the same protocols.