GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Keys and Water

untchablecs

Ready to race!
Trying to find a solution to a problem with the vw key setup. I surf and need to take my key in the water with me (inside my wetsuit there's a little pocket for a key) but have noticed that the VW key is not only a key but electronic alarm trigger. I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure i can't take that in the water plus it would be bulky even if i could. Is there a way to get an extra key made without the alarm adapter so i can take the key in the water with me?

Accel

Rally Car Champion
untchablecs said:
Trying to find a solution to a problem with the vw key setup. I surf and need to take my key in the water with me (inside my wetsuit there's a little pocket for a key) but have noticed that the VW key is not only a key but electronic alarm trigger. I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure i can't take that in the water plus it would be bulky even if i could. Is there a way to get an extra key made without the alarm adapter so i can take the key in the water with me?

Didnt you get a Valet Key from the dealer? Its just a normal key that only opens the door and starts the car. You could leave your normal key hidden under the seat and take the valet key with you.

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
Best solution is the valet key, but if you want to take your regular key you can always put it in a small ziplock bag.

untchablecs

Ready to race!
Cool......didn't know about the valet key as I haven't purchased my gti yet. Thanks for tips....the valet key will work perfect.

maybe if you dont get too wet (lol) i have somehow ended up in the water with my keys in my pocket a couple of times (cell phone didnt survive) some how my keys have made it back ok.

but i would say the valet key is much better to surf w/
sometimes you cant tell your drunk friends "wait my key and cell phone are still in my pocket"

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
i got 2 remotes, but no valet key.

i wouldve thought its still dangerous to put the valet key in the water because that deactivates the immobiliser

davesee

FIA GT Champion
from my experience the immobilizer is not water sensitive.

And my manual states that I should have received two remote keys, a valet key and a plastic tag which has a code used to make a replatement key. I think my manual even had a drawing of all the above mentioned things.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
newtogolf said:
well that makes me feel short changed then. i want a normal key!

WE want normal keys!!

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
I surf and I use a Hide-A-Key that I keep under the car. The reason I don't take my valet key surfing is that its too expensive of a key to have the slatwater fuck it up. Also even if it doesn't break the immobilizer the key will rust which could cause more problems.

Use a Hide-A-Key.

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
I ordered my large Hide-A-Key off ebay for $6 with shipping. The are large enough to fit my MKIV valet key and should be large enough for your valet key also. The deal came with two large holders. I ordered them alittle bit ago, but go that route, you don't want to risk messing up your $150 valet key.