GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how to change oil for 1.9 tdi

Hong Chau

Banned
hi aussie MKV'ers,
just wondering where the oil sump is located on the MKV golf 1.9tdi.
it may sound like a silly question, but the only plug i can access is rather large. and not directly under the engine.

any help would be appreciated.

spelchek

oiler
Car(s)
A5 Golf
Hong Chau.. have you checked the TDI club A5 forums? Plenty of info in there for you .. i video how-to as well available I beleive.

PS.. why ya changin a tdi's oil?? Are you 'slumming it' with us oilers or something?? :wink:

Hong Chau

Banned
Hong Chau.. have you checked the TDI club A5 forums? Plenty of info in there for you .. i video how-to as well available I beleive.

PS.. why ya changin a tdi's oil?? Are you 'slumming it' with us oilers or something?? :wink:

actually, its my younger brothers car.
and let me tell you that he only puts petrol in it. THATS IT!!!
i have to maintain it for him.
he's never washed a car in his life too:mad:

Hong Chau

Banned
hahahaha.
nice one.

jaush

Aus Liebe zum Automobil
Car(s)
R32
So he's not taking it to a qualified mechanic for the service? ... I'd recommend that to him to keep his warranty in tact, rather than potentially screwing up an oil change.

Hong Chau

Banned
So he's not taking it to a qualified mechanic for the service? ... I'd recommend that to him to keep his warranty in tact, rather than potentially screwing up an oil change.

really??
changing your own oil voids the warranty?:confused:

jaush

Aus Liebe zum Automobil
Car(s)
R32
really??
changing your own oil voids the warranty?:confused:

Not if it's between services as an extra precaution against engine wear. But if you change your own oil instead of taking the car in for it's 1 year/15,000km interval services - then you risk voiding your warranty on the engine and drivetrain.

OR... Since you don't know how to actually drain the oil, you could end up draining the transmission fluid, and then putting in 4L of nice new fresh oil into the engine... Drowning it in oily goodness (while going "wonder why it wont shift anymore?!").

To keep the warranty intact you simply need to have the car serviced per it's service schedule (found in the car's manual) at a qualified mechanic.

Hong Chau

Banned
Not if it's between services as an extra precaution against engine wear. But if you change your own oil instead of taking the car in for it's 1 year/15,000km interval services - then you risk voiding your warranty on the engine and drivetrain.

OR... Since you don't know how to actually drain the oil, you could end up draining the transmission fluid, and then putting in 4L of nice new fresh oil into the engine... Drowning it in oily goodness (while going "wonder why it wont shift anymore?!").

To keep the warranty intact you simply need to have the car serviced per it's service schedule (found in the car's manual) at a qualified mechanic.

Oooh, i see.
well i only change the oil every 5k anyways and take it to the dealer for the major service. so should be alright.

spelchek

oiler
Car(s)
A5 Golf
Plus be aware that the TDI require a very specific oil (505.01), failure to use will void warranty.

Changing the oil every 5k is a waste of money hong. If youu are using the right oil, the interval is 15k (from memory).

Hong Chau

Banned
Plus be aware that the TDI require a very specific oil (505.01), failure to use will void warranty.

Changing the oil every 5k is a waste of money hong. If youu are using the right oil, the interval is 15k (from memory).

My dealer gives me the oil free of charge:thumbup: .
anytime i need to change i just take an empty container and he fills it up for me free of charge.

i change the oil every 5k on my GTI. but for the tdi its every 7.5k just to be safe.

dodgey

Not a VW owner
My dealer gives me the oil free of charge:thumbup: .
anytime i need to change i just take an empty container and he fills it up for me free of charge.

hehe, that's because to fill your container, he goes out the back and drains whatever car they are servicing at the moment :bellyroll:

Ahh, just kidding... I'm in a silly mood tonight and I havent even had a drop of alcohol to drink... :barf:

jamie32

Car(s)
golf mkv
on myne I use castrol 507 00 5w 30 (long life) and I change oil every year, I do approxiamtely 8500K miles