GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock height with coilovers?

Masdubator

Don't hate, ******ate
Car(s)
2008 mk5 gti FSI
I want to lower my car with coilovers to have adjustable height and performance. I also have to deal with snow for 4 months a year which i need stock height. Are there any coilovers under $1k that will do this?

cskm

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
most will be able to give you stock height if they are adjustable. if not as high, it can nearly be just as high.

as for which ones, i have no idea.

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
Konis might. I am in for the results too as I need coilovers that will go kind of low but can go back up to stock height for winter time.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Same issue here. That's why I was just thinking springs but since coils are adjustable I'd be in for a set of these too.

Masdubator

Don't hate, ******ate
Car(s)
2008 mk5 gti FSI
Yeah i was just kinda confused about the sticked thread http://golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4. If it says the drop for a coilover is 1.2"-1.8" does that mean the Minimum drop is 1.2" and you can't go any higher?

DavisELK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 GTI
I found my FK's brand new for 700, and they can get up high enough to deal with ohio snow for the winter if that can answer you.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
There really is no coilover that gets to stock height.

Most minimum drops are about 1".

Only way to get stock height is to put back in your OEM suspension for the winter.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
My PSS9's would do 4x4 status easy. It was ridiculous how high they would go. My H&R coilovers were similar but they didn't have quite as much adjustment.

Here's a pic. Hmm not as high as I thought, but I think I raised it up some more after this.

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 683

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
DO NOT GET KONI COILOVERS FOR STOCK HEIGHT!!! You will experience spring failure!

It may work for a little while, then one day you realize that the front has settled 1/4 inch, then 1/2 inch, then you'll hear the spring start to bind. Do it for long enough, the spring will just keep getting closer and closer to solid (becomes a coiled up stack of metal). I've had many people contact me about this and I've experienced this myself.
Please save yourself the time and agony by NOT going past 25 inches ground to fender on the Koni Coilovers.

V-DubbinLOW

Stanced
Car(s)
Some low hoe
i got some H&R street performance coils going for 650 lemme know

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
DO NOT GET KONI COILOVERS FOR STOCK HEIGHT!!! You will experience spring failure!

It may work for a little while, then one day you realize that the front has settled 1/4 inch, then 1/2 inch, then you'll hear the spring start to bind. Do it for long enough, the spring will just keep getting closer and closer to solid (becomes a coiled up stack of metal). I've had many people contact me about this and I've experienced this myself.
Please save yourself the time and agony by NOT going past 25 inches ground to fender on the Koni Coilovers.

Yours wasn't ones from the batch of bad ones was it??

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
They were not part of the bad batch. The kit is not designed to be used at anything higher than 2 inches below stock height. Front spring failure seems to be why. If you look at the geometry of the front springs, it will make more sense.