GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have you seen your GTI's fast? I have!

GTT

Touring Car Champion
the_saint said:
I would have never even noticed the GTI if I hadn't seen the ads. Guess I'm about the only one.
I've never been a VW fan, I've always been partial to Japanese cars. I have a 90 240sx that I was thinking of doing a rb25 engine swap to, and my daily drive is an 06 Mazda5. I'm not into F&F, I believe those movies killed the sport compact scene.
And I'm in my late 20s if that accounts for anything.

We come from different perspectives. I'm a car enthusiast and already knew of the GTI's existence. I even remember the GTI of "old" when it made splash and created a buzz.
But, that's my age (40).
You're probably in the targeted age for those ads.
My think is I don't see the GTI as being that type of car and I don't think it's good image to create for the GTI either.

The F&F movie actually increased interest in the sport compact scene. We have more mags dedicated to the scene and demand for Supras, RX7's, and other F&F showcased cars grew after that movie.
Mod suppliers LOVE the F&F movies.

I'm questioning the success of an ad campaign. I know advertising and marketing works.
My problem is that I don't like the image it's creating for the car.
I do believe the GTI could have been just as well served with ads speaking of it's abilities
and modern design and engineering rather than selling some psuedo psychological rebelious attitude. Yes, it works for some people, namely the younger crowd as I can see it's appeal.
However, VW have forgotten that there are plenty of enthusiasts our here who actually remember the original and want to get back in it with all the years of modern advancement.

In all, the ad campaign is more age specific really. But, I don't accept that a little plastic toy substituting for one's inner monoloque is getting anyone to buy a GTI.
I mean did you really want a GTI because now you can use your "fast" as an excuse to do anything you want, even act in ways you shouldn't? I do that anyway without a toy. :headbang:

T

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Yes, mod suppliers love the F&F movies because it roped a bunch of knuckleheads into thinking that all their civic DX/HX needed to be fast was a big ol muffler, a park bench wing, and one...no two, big shiney chrome "NOS" tanks. I guess that kinda falls in with the old addage "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" but IMO the blossoming culture could have went down a much more tasteful and 'responsible' avenue if it weren't for the F&F movies.

As for the VW ads, again, I see where other people are coming from in saying that they are dumb and/or they do not like them. But like I've said earlier, the #s don't lie. VWoA's Golf sales are up 105% from last year...and they haven't even started selling plain old Golfs yet. So that means that this upshoot in sales is soley from the GTI. Why the sudden influx of GTI sales? We will never know for sure, but I'm guessing those stupid commercial have something to do with it.

In the mean time, don't take these ads so seriously, they're only goofy jokes anyways.

swami

Go Kart Newbie
Wow...that's the worst thread jacking I've seen in awhile. I like the original fast commercials and I'm 44. It's the unpimp my ride ones that concern me. I'm a little worried that some ricer see's my car, parked way out in the middle of nowhere, and carves lame or pimp this into it. I'd love it if they pull those before I get mine.:iono:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
^Good point. Hopefully it dosen't happen :frown:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The purpose of the jingle, and marketing tool, are to make you remember the car, and its relationship to the mascot. However, if you have confused questions of the "fast" you should get the DVD manual thingy from the dealership, the video is hillarious!!..I enjoy it. I'm a business major and its got my thumbs up for the concept

GTT

Touring Car Champion
swami said:
Wow...that's the worst thread jacking I've seen in awhile. I like the original fast commercials and I'm 44. It's the unpimp my ride ones that concern me. I'm a little worried that some ricer see's my car, parked way out in the middle of nowhere, and carves lame or pimp this into it. I'd love it if they pull those before I get mine.:iono:

You're right!
My Fast likes to jack threads. :biggrin:
Kidding.

BTW, one other way to look at the big sales jump is that this is a brand new GTI that has gotten much attention from auto mags and has received rave reviews in countries where it has existed for a year longer. Advertising is good but the product does have to live up to the consumers expectations, and the GTI does. On that I think we can all agree.

T

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
nice pix... GTI+snow+esp off= never happening in oman.... your lucky!:smile:

BillyInLasVegas

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly I must say the ads worked in a way. I've been on the waiting list for an '06 SI since November and got a call saying that I wouldn't get it until June, that day I saw one of the FAST commercials and I decided to do a little research and last week I bought a GTI and canceled my order for the SI.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Ive driven GTI's since 96 and found the MKIV a wolf in sheeps clothing...you could easily get away with approaching covertly and then leaving the smell of burning rubber...is not surprise the best tactic....finding the MKV just a little too obvious....have had kids from 5yrs to local law enforcement having a look....not sure if I wanted this much attention or should I use it to my advantage :headbang:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
The ads worked. GTI sales in the US have exceeded VWs expectations. I don't think that would have happened without the help of these ads. Not to say the ads swayed buyers to purchase them, but they certainly got many potential new car buyers to walk into the dealership.

By the way, the marketing agency that came up with the "My Fast" ads and "Un-Pimp My Ride" ads is none other than Crispin Porter + Bogusky. Their office building is actually located just a few miles away from me. This is the same agency that came up with the Burger "King" masked weirdo and the "topless" Mini Cooper billboards. I'm going to apply for internship with them this summer :biggrin:

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
I'm 36, and was intrigued by the GTI, but up until a month ago, my next car was going to be a Saab 9-3 Aero Sportcombi, an Audi A3, or a Subaru Legacy GT wagon, with the A3 being the odds-on favorite. The GTI didn't enter into my mind as a serious contender because the A3's styling appealed to me more.

The Fast commercials caught my attention and led me to check out a GTI at the auto show - I had been intending to skip the VW display entirely. I liked it there. I saw more Fast ads, and went to the dealership to check it out. Now I have a deposit on a 4-door with luxury leather package and rear airbags. My wife and I now use the term "Fast" (like when she asked if my Fast liked the company ski day).

So, yeah, the Fast ads were effective, and not on an under 35 demographic!