GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Oil Smells like gas???

MKV6SPD

Oval Champion
Hello.I went out to my car today and wondered.Why the hell is the exhaust tips getting black so quick.I opened the hood today and looked around.I checked the oil dipstick and no problem.Opened the oil cap and took a quick smell.Damn oil smells like gas.I smell the oil cap and it also smells like gas.So I called up the service dept at vw and asked them some questions.They said to wait till 3k miles and if it still smells like gas that they will check it out.Ok so the question is does everyones gti engine oil smell like this?My car runs fine but I know what oil is supposed to smell like.Ok so pop your hoods guys and let me know what yours smells like.Peace out

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
Well the GTI has a special oil in it from factory that has certain additives and such that is only used for the first oil in the car. So it might be that the special oil infact smells slightly different due to the added things? Just a shot in the dark there, not sure.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
Mine does too... anyone else?

its not unusual for oil to smell like fuel. some blow by can happen and get fuel in the oil - especially if you are doing short trips - a long trip will get the engine nice and warm and it should evaprate/burn out - although with all the new strict emmissions controls these days maybe that doesnt happen as much.