GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable DRL

Matt07GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 MK5 GTI
I have read that the only way to disable the drl is to have a vag com is this true? i know on other vw's that you can either bend the connector pin or cut the wire is that an option for the MKV? I just got a euro switch that my brother had in his jetta

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Its a pretty common mod with VCDS.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I have read that the only way to disable the drl is to have a vag com is this true? i know on other vw's that you can either bend the connector pin or cut the wire is that an option for the MKV? I just got a euro switch that my brother had in his jetta
To keep headlights going with the light sensor? Yes, you definitely vcds

Matt07GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 MK5 GTI
yea I have the light sensor the only thing it is doing now is on/off dash lights, damn that is not what i wanted to hear hahah thanks

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
The mk4 and mk5 headlight switches are different electrically and are not interchangeable. While it is true you could disable DRL on a mk4 by disabling a pin in the headlight switch connector, the same is NOT true for mk5. Changing Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519 settings using VAG-COM/VCDS (or equivalent) is the only way to disable DRL on a mk5.

Information on how to disable DRL (along with other relevant lighting settings) can be found in
Inner headlights on US market GTI (Bi-Xenon equipped) - function and settings
Scroll down to the second picture for DRL disable detail.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
^+1

Your post on lights and switches have been invaluable to a lot of people over there years.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
^+1

Your post on lights and switches have been invaluable to a lot of people over there years.

Thank you. It surprises me a little that post never made it to the "stickies".
How many 9 year old posts do you see where all the pictures still work?
(I go to great lengths and expense to maintain my own domain to keep it that way -
all my posts with embedded pictures going back to 2001 on vwvotex still work).

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI - you can also do this with one of the "apps" in the OBDEleven app.
I know it works because I did it on my car - no DRLs!

For those that don't know, the OBDEleven is a make-specific OBD II reader/writer. I got mine from ECS. It is pretty nifty for getting diagnostic and fault codes without going to an auto parts store or the dealership. It connects with bluetooth to your phone. You can do live data on many engine items, run and clear fault codes, etc.

I have trouble getting my phone to connect to it from time to time, but when it does work, it does work well.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
FYI - you can also do this with one of the "apps" in the OBDEleven app.
I know it works because I did it on my car - no DRLs!

For those that don't know, the OBDEleven is a make-specific OBD II reader/writer. I got mine from ECS. It is pretty nifty for getting diagnostic and fault codes without going to an auto parts store or the dealership. It connects with bluetooth to your phone. You can do live data on many engine items, run and clear fault codes, etc.

I have trouble getting my phone to connect to it from time to time, but when it does work, it does work well.

Yes, the OBDEleven falls into the "or equivalent" category.
Note: requires an Android OS device (VAG-CO/VCDS is Windows based).

The OBDEleven device looks very interesting. The concept of separately
purchasing "apps" or modules for specific functions
is a different approach to containing cost.

Long before OBDEleven existed, I purchased my VAG-COM 16 years ago
(with a cable upgrade 12 years ago) and that initial investment is still going strong.
Very rare to find a company that sells you a software license and
then provides free upgrades in perpetuity.
About the exact opposite of OBDEleven,
as their business model seems to be based on selling add-ons.

Neopork

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the OBDEleven falls into the "or equivalent" category.
Note: requires an Android OS device (VAG-CO/VCDS is Windows based).

The OBDEleven device looks very interesting. The concept of separately
purchasing "apps" or modules for specific functions
is a different approach to containing cost.

Long before OBDEleven existed, I purchased my VAG-COM 16 years ago
(with a cable upgrade 12 years ago) and that initial investment is still going strong.
Very rare to find a company that sells you a software license and
then provides free upgrades in perpetuity.
About the exact opposite of OBDEleven,
as their business model seems to be based on selling add-ons.

I agree with you on the OBD Eleven, however when you buy it (pro version I think), it comes with several credits available so you can try some apps. I did the DRL coding with the available credits and had several left over. Occasionally I will log in and they have just given me more credits. I honestly don't know how much the credits even cost. I don't plan on being a power user of the coding features, and aside from that it does pretty much everything I want it to. I have also noted that there is no way to run a full diagnostic and then export the entire thing to email, etc. You have to send each one from its specific "module" (engine, steering, etc.), which I find really irritating. It also doesn't provide a way to save the last full scan, and often will drop that information if you switch to another app and then go back to OBD Eleven. I think this was kind of a misstep for them, honestly. It makes you run the full scan again to get information that you had 5 seconds ago.