GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help WRX or GTI

GTI689

Oval Champion
whats up bro i also wanted a wrx but the dealers were a holes about test driving them, when i test drove the GTI i was very impressed with the pick up and the interrior the interrior in the wrx is very plane and simple unliek the GTI i personaly sat in both and drove the gti and been in a wrx for a ride i have to choose the GTI but in your case you might choose diffrent because of the snow and awd if you realy want awd wait untill the R32 comes out =)

The '06 WRX was the first car I ever test drove. I loved it from the start and told myself I would still consider other cars, but still wanted the WRX. After thinking on it for over 4 months, I realized I didn't need the WRX. I was leading more towards the Mazda3 Hatchback or the '06 Si. So I was gonna test drive an Si and was looking for cars in the same price range on Edmunds. Found out the new body style of the GTI was out. Loved the look automatically! 2 hours later, I went and test drove one, thinking I was gonna test drive the Si afterward. 1 hour after that, I bought the GTI. So only 3 hours of research and such, I bought a car. I had been researching the WRX for over 4 months and still went for the GTI. The ride is much better! Definitely go for the GTI. It's one Hot Hatch!

Also, this is coming from a guy that has been obsessed with Japanese everything. JDM all the way for 3 years. The GTI had something the WRX didn't.

wow groover that is great news.
my friend actually used to drive the original GLI then got a civic and did an engine swap = real quick... but then still went back to VW in the end.

it seems like the VW scene keeps attracting enthusiasts, and i think the GTI will bring in a few more.

trigti

Passed Driver's Ed
buy the GTI. It is a nicer car that is more practical on a daily basis (torque and no turbo lag go a long way). its easy to want a car for extreme conditions that are definitely the exception and not the norm. stick w/ what you will use it for most often - daily driving. when the snow flies, you will be fine in a fwd car w/ all season tires.

again, I keep going back to the fact that the GTI is a better overall car w/ more character.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Bouston said:
When thing to consider is that the WRX seats DO NOT fold down. They have a little pass through section that's behind the center arm rest between the rear seats. So you will definatly have smaller space to haul things in when compared to the GTI. Trust me I used to have a WRX

That, and the fact that WRX had a short list of features was why it went off my list. The wagon offers the space and utility but I didn't want a wagon.

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
My buddy has a WRX and if you tune your cars please read the rest, if you don't well don't. From a tuning stand point I would go with the GTi. Quality parts for the wrx can get very expensive. APS exhuast 2000!!! My buddy has over 15k into his car and is putting 330 to the ground. Give me 15k and I will SHATTER that. Plus, I don't think the GTi is over priced at all. These cars are in two different classes. Comparing based on price is like comparing a Civic Si to a 350Z. Apples and oranges.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Another thing is that if you live in a place like I do - sunny Cali, then most of the advantages of having AWD will be simply wasted. Sure it launches better but how often are you going to launch your car?

desmoface

Passed Driver's Ed
KharatosGTI said:
Another thing is that if you live in a place like I do - sunny Cali, then most of the advantages of having AWD will be simply wasted. Sure it launches better but how often are you going to launch your car?

I would respectfully argue that with you...awd sticks to the ground better in spirited driving..don't have to have snow to appreciate awd. If you ever hit a track you would definitely notice improved traction with awd.

That said, I love the new gti. I sat in one a few days ago and it's really nice. I have an 05 impreza and an 05 rsx s type and have driven the wrx. The wrx is awsome.

Anyway, I was thinking when my lease was up I was going to get a wrx...I will have to drive the new gti first, though. It's interior is very nice.

My only concern with the gti is vw's reputation for reliability. I would be apprehensive about buying a vw for this very reason. I am an insurance agent and every customer of mine that has owned a vw has had major problems with it - and has come away from the experience unhappy.

They all say they were sold on the car from a looks/interior standpoint but after the purchase the fun all ended. Hard to believe this after sitting in the new gti. It appears to be very well made, if a bit heavy.

Oh well, I have 2 years till I'm in the market, I'll keep an eye on this new gti and see how she fairs as far as reliability...Kudo's to vw though for a very nice looking machine.

Steve
05 impreza rs
05 rsx s type

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
^^

I'm definitely with you on this Steve.

I had a WRX before i bought the benz and abused the hell out of it, i was pushing over 320 at the Fly at one point for about 30,000 miles with no problems!! I rallye'd it, tracked it, and everything else'd it. When i sold it i just gave it a new coat of paint and it was like new!! Now, if i did that w/ a Gti i dont think it can handle it. I know several people who have complained about VW reliability issues.. :(

I think if you plan on racing the car quite often, then get the WRX. If you travel a lot on mountains, get the WRX. If you drive in town, get the GTI. If you want more features, get the GTI. GTI hands down though.

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
dude, if u got snow... then go with the wrx, all wheel drive is sweet, expecially in the snow. we dont want u swervin and showing us crash pictures of a gti (hopefully u wont get into an accident or am i saying/ hoping u will) but i drive a slowbalt ss, its front wheel drive, and people say its terrible for the snow, beleave me.. it is,

desmoface

Passed Driver's Ed
CalBoyTex said:
dude, if u got snow... then go with the wrx, all wheel drive is sweet, expecially in the snow. we dont want u swervin and showing us crash pictures of a gti (hopefully u wont get into an accident or am i saying/ hoping u will) but i drive a slowbalt ss, its front wheel drive, and people say its terrible for the snow, beleave me.. it is,

My wife kind of likes those things...I know this is a gti forum/thread, but how do you like that cobalt ss?

Steve
05 impreza rs
05 rsx s type