GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help WRX or GTI

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Alright, So i'm completely torn, and I know that none of you can make my decision for me.

Originally I looked at an RSX, however i've decided between a WRX or a GTI, now I can't decide which. Both cars will be new, no modding, more interior swap type stuff. Probally throw some rims on as well.

I'm a college kid, but amazingly i'm a college kid who works, has an internship, and has saved enough to pay all but about 4 grand, If I were to go with the WRX, If I get the GtI it would be paid off by the end of summer. I need to haul crap back and forth, school stuff, snowboards, friends, and w/e else you can think of that a college kid might carry.

I got to Virginia tech, so we get snow up here in the mountains, but I think that fwd would suffice, any advice, or suggestions would be well appreciated.

Anyone try putting snowboards in their car yet? How do they fit? anyone of pics w/ a roof rack?

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
You didn't say how long you'd have to pay for the WRX (typo in your post I think?). I love the VW and GTIs and all but WRX seems maybe a better caar for general utility/recreational/snow duty since it's AWD? Anyone else have any thoughts to help him out?

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
When thing to consider is that the WRX seats DO NOT fold down. They have a little pass through section that's behind the center arm rest between the rear seats. So you will definatly have smaller space to haul things in when compared to the GTI. Trust me I used to have a WRX

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

• gti-accessories4.JPG
    gti-accessories4.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 678
i heard the GTI does real well in the snow with the esp,

My current car is a subaru and i love being able to drive in the snow w/o snow tires.

i used to have a 1985 audi and the awd was somehow better than the 98 subaru??? maybe check out the a3 if you want to stay awd and get the 2.0T:iono:

for me i will buy my first fwd car ever and get the GTI:thumbup:

GTI DSG Freude am Fahren

Drag Race Newbie
Hokietuner said:
Alright, So i'm completely torn, and I know that none of you can make my decision for me.

Originally I looked at an RSX, however i've decided between a WRX or a GTI, now I can't decide which. Both cars will be new, no modding, more interior swap type stuff. Probally throw some rims on as well.

I'm a college kid, but amazingly i'm a college kid who works, has an internship, and has saved enough to pay all but about 4 grand, If I were to go with the WRX, If I get the GtI it would be paid off by the end of summer. I need to haul crap back and forth, school stuff, snowboards, friends, and w/e else you can think of that a college kid might carry.

I got to Virginia tech, so we get snow up here in the mountains, but I think that fwd would suffice, any advice, or suggestions would be well appreciated.

Anyone try putting snowboards in their car yet? How do they fit? anyone of pics w/ a roof rack?

Hi,
I was also interested in both, and the WRX STI (specially) makes a lot of fun :biggrin: For the race track or eart road it great but for every day use when you are not in a race it´s kind of exhausting. It´s not a cruiser. The GTI (DSG) is two cars, a cruiser and a hot hatch. So I got 2 cars for the price of one. Think about it. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 1q.jpg
    1q.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 663
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 693

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
dude,
i use to drive a wrx wagon. the thing is so awesome in snow. i haven't driven the gti in snow yet, but not sure if i should as these are summer tires. the wrx made it so easy to haul things and have slightly more cargo room. the roof rails really helped as it is standard. but, you will stil have to buy other attachments such as the cross bars etc.
power delivery is much stronger on the wrx, but with a lot more lag. the gti
spools faster with noticeble pick from 1500 rpm.
other things to consider....the wrx have a stiffer clutch and notchy shifter. this has cause some miss shifts.

they're both great cars and i would go with the one that'll suit the conditions more if you are dealing with a lot of snow. well, i haven't driven the mkv for that long and it's the break in period so my input on the mkv might not be as much.
hope this helps.

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
Definitely both good cars, but if you're looking for a bang for you buck kind of car, then you definitely should go with the WRX... The Gti is definitely over priced.

GTI pros

Better gas mileage
6 Speed Manual
About $4000 Cheaper
More head room all over
Longer Warranty
6 Disc MP3 CD In Dash, Standard
Moonroof without Special Edition
More Options
Higher Compression Ratio
Full Size Spare

Left is GTI, Right is WRX
Horsepower 200 @ 5100 RPM 230 @ 5600 RPM
Torque 207 @ 1800 RPM 235 @ 3600 RPM

To me, lower RPM and high power

WRX Pros

AWD
Sedan
Not much lag
About 100 Pounds lights

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Just to add, I fit 2 snowboards, a set of skis, 3 pairs of ski boots, and clothing and such for 3 people, and well, 3 people to drive up to the mountains, all inside with no problems.

Wow, I wrote that horribly, but you get the idea, GTI is WAAAY more practical for carrying stuff.

thp

Passed Driver's Ed
WRX Wagon has more usable room then a GTI.
Both are comparably priced, I'm going through the same decision now.
College student, intern, etc. etc... with about 18k saved up. I'm still going to take a loan because I'd rather pay 4% in interested then lose my 12% in mutual funds.

But in the end, the WRX wagon would have more room and be easier to have stuff on the roof. But the GTI is more comfortable of a ride and I do believe the back seats are better then the WRX. Ah, and the FWD and AWD... i can't decide either! Maybe I'll just get a GTI and have my friend with the WRX drive me to Mt. Hood and get his stuff scratched with the snowboards instead. ^_^

albluecar

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Funny this post should come up... I have a WRX and I am trying to decide whether or not to part with it for a GTI. I've driven the WRX for about three years now and I'm getting to a point where I feel bored with it and I am finding shortcomings more often after my three years with it. The interior is bland but not uncomfortable per se, but the seats are fairly shallow and unsupportive for me. Interior space for hauling is hard to come by- a 27 inch tv is the absolute biggest thing I can fit in the back seat (won't fit in trunk) and the GTI is especially appealing for that reason. Gas mileage is sub-par (although after my exhaust i can get 26 mpg) and the norm was 21 mpg pre exhaust work. It's a very capable car, but All Wheel Drive doesn't seem to be all that earth shattering to me- the power transfer in the car can work against you in snow at times, most of the time, however, the WRX is very surefooted. Transmission in the WRX as you may have heard can be temperamental at times- si it requires a lot of care.
Then there's the power delivery- a bit of a waiting game. Don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry if you find your tachometer sitting below 4 large...
Yet with all the shortcomings I've listed, there is still a good amount of fun to be had in the Subaru. However, this new GTI has won me over by being greater than the sum of its parts, which in the automotive world is nothing short of impossible.

Oh and first post!
AlBlueCar

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
^Good first post. So have you deiceded to stick with the Suby or are you still unsure?