GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1/4 mile times for mkV GTI

JariP

Ready to race!
What kind of a figures (ET and speed) have you seen a stock and modified mkV GTI Golf do? Im interested in both DSG and manual figures. I think chipped GTI should do easily over 160km/h terminals?

My DSG GTI is in order and Im hoping to get some input on how fast it will be. I havent test driven it yet :smile:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
JariP said:
What kind of a figures (ET and speed) have you seen a stock and modified mkV GTI Golf do? Im interested in both DSG and manual figures. I think chipped GTI should do easily over 160km/h terminals?

My DSG GTI is in order and Im hoping to get some input on how fast it will be. I havent test driven it yet :smile:

Let me put it to you like this; the supposed max speed on my DSG GTI is apparently 136mph/218kph. The actual max speed is errr somewhat (read a fair way) beyond that... and that's confirmed by an independent GPS speed device.

Not that I would condone speeding, oh no.

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
there is a track out here in vegas but i dont got the car yet, my guess its around 14.5-14.9 thats my guess,

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Car and driver got 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and quarter mile in 14.7 seconds (with launch control)

"For all-out acceleration, DSG has a launch-control feature in which the engine holds at 3000 rpm and, when the brake pedal is released, takes off with a tuned amount of clutch slip and wheelspin. Using this method, we managed a 6.0-second 0-to-60-mph sprint and a 14.7-second quarter-mile at 95 mph, even though we thought the computer allowed too much wheelspin."

Car and Driver GTI review:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=10251

MyFast

Passed Driver's Ed
JJ-R32 said:
Car and driver got 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and quarter mile in 14.7 seconds (with launch control)

"For all-out acceleration, DSG has a launch-control feature in which the engine holds at 3000 rpm and, when the brake pedal is released, takes off with a tuned amount of clutch slip and wheelspin. Using this method, we managed a 6.0-second 0-to-60-mph sprint and a 14.7-second quarter-mile at 95 mph, even though we thought the computer allowed too much wheelspin."

great! thanks!......:thumbsup:

JariP

Ready to race!
Based on that 0-60mph figure I would expect a faster 60mph-100mph time? It really does seem to be able to put power down nicely on launch.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
JJ-R32 said:

C&D tested a NEW GTI with launch control? I thought that option wasn't coming until 2007?

They also tested a GLI with DSG, no LC, and got 6.4 0-60 I believe.

TT

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTT said:
C&D tested a NEW GTI with launch control? I thought that option wasn't coming until 2007?

TT

Haven't read the review yet but Euro GTIs (like mine... heh) have had launch control enabled since day one. Still haven't tried it yet...

JariP

Ready to race!
GTT said:

TT

Article said that VW send a euro-spec GTI for test since US cars were not available yet.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
JariP said:
Article said that VW send a euro-spec GTI for test since US cars were not available yet.

Yes, that one did. The new article, which tests a Civic Si against the US GTI shows the
no launch control GTI with DSG at 6.6 0-60 14.9 @95 1/4 mile.
This one was actually slower than a recent GLI they tested.

Way too much variance in tested times, but that's a turbo for you.
.6 seconds for launch control? I can't see it, but it's possible.
But then, this test was done on crappy California gas, and turbo's are very sensitive to
octane as well.

TT

GTT

Touring Car Champion
JJ-R32 said:
Just posted EVO magazine's review of the GTI versus the Focus GT (http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19)
and they got 0-60 in 6.7 and quarter mile in 15.4

That's a Euro mag, correct?
I'm on a Euro GTI website. I posted a question about how it seems that the US spec GTI seems quicker even without the launch control. There was an aritcle in "Car" (I think), another Euro mag, which was testing a Vauxhall, Mini, GTI, and Alfa. That GTI had 0-60 in the low 7's-
7.1 or 7.2.
That correlates to the first test of a GLI DSG Car&Driver tested a few months ago.

The newer rounds of tests in the US seem to show slightly faster times in the GTI.

BTW, the EVO test, did that car have 18's or 17's? DSG or manual?

EDIT:
I just read the reviews I could access.
BTW, some of the articles I can't access. I click and I'm taken to a sign in page.
I sign in and it won't give me the articles.
Hmmm?

Thanks for the reviews!
Good stuff.

TT

Last edited:

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
GTT said:
That's a Euro mag, correct?
I'm on a Euro GTI website. I posted a question about how it seems that the US spec GTI seems quicker even without the launch control. There was an aritcle in "Car" (I think), another Euro mag, which was testing a Vauxhall, Mini, GTI, and Alfa. That GTI had 0-60 in the low 7's-
7.1 or 7.2.
That correlates to the first test of a GLI DSG Car&Driver tested a few months ago.

The newer rounds of tests in the US seem to show slightly faster times in the GTI.

BTW, the EVO test, did that car have 18's or 17's? DSG or manual?

TT

TT - check out the review in the review thread I posted above, it's a good read. Yes, EVO Magazine is a UK publication. The car they tested had 18's and was manual.