GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed Carbonio Intake Today.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
I got my Carbonio intake installed today. I took some pics after it was installed. The stickers are not put on at the factory, so you can put them where you want. The kit replaces the factory paper pleated filter with a Pipercross foam filter.

THe hardest part of the install was getting the factory air box attached back to the downtube near the MAF sensor. I broke one of the tabs on the front side of the downtube. I don't know if there is some trick or what, but it took me almost 30 mins just on that part.

I would also suggest having a clear work bench, where you can lay down the factory airbox, on top of some soft cloths, as you do have to open it up to replace the factory filter. Talk about a pain in the a#$. I would hate to be a VW technician when one of these new 2.0L FSI engines comes in for an air filter change. First you got to force it off the 4 rubber grommets that hold it down, then unscrew 8 phillips screws.

Once I got it all done, it was happy. Other then breaking the tab on the downtube of a 2,500mile car.

Pete

Attachments

• P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 32,330
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 13,347

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
hows it feel power wise also?

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
czechgigalo said:
Sure doesnt look very impressive...Can you feel any gains?

Thanks for bringing the negative vibe into my post gigalo.

So I guess impressive would be a cold air intake to suck up a bunch of water in the winter months for me?

czechgigalo

Ready to race!
CopperAddict said:
Thanks for bringing the negative vibe into my post gigalo.

So I guess impressive would be a cold air intake to suck up a bunch of water in the winter months for me?

So sensitive...I take it all back....Its beautiful yet very masculine:) lol.....

I live in southern cali, Damn near impossible to get water in the intake....unless you are a total idiot...It does look really good though......So any differnece in power... hows it sound?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
its impossible to get water into any cai unless your a total idiot and drive into a big ass puddle and dont know what the depth is, but anyway, how much did it cost?

Lellobeetle

Go Kart Newbie
AxMan said:
its impossible to get water into any cai unless your a total idiot and drive into a big ass puddle and dont know what the depth is, but anyway, how much did it cost?

Where all have you lived in the US that you can speak so easily for everyone? Flash flooding is a real problem and occurs multiple times a year here in Houston. Street flood is part of it. While I always use my head and know what roads to stay away from - others might not and easily find themselves in water they'd never intentionally drive into.

BOT - The carbonio looks very nice - clean. Nice job. Last I checked they still weren't available on the APR website - so are you testing it for them or something?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
well if your driving in flooded waters is what im talking about. you shouldnt drive in water that you dont know the depth, and yes it floods where i live all the time in the spring and fall. its more of being carefull than careless and thinking you can make it through a puddle, especially if you have a CAI

Lellobeetle

Go Kart Newbie
AxMan said:
...its more of being carefull than careless and thinking you can make it through a puddle, especially if you have a CAI

Totally agreed. I definitely have seen people do some stupid stuff going into deep water. :thumbsup:

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
ok so basicly the intake is not worth it im guessing!!!! no power increase it sounds like and it doesnt sound any better !!!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Why did you have to take the intake box apart to put in the new filter? I know you have to lift it off and yes, those damn tabs after the MAF are a pain. I broke one too, but I have dismantled mine and posted the pics....all without touching the filter? Dose this intake somehow block off the factory air box resanator?

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
cars dont swim!, doesn't sound any deeper at all??....does sound like a waste of a couple hundred bucks