GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI or 325i ??

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I am trying to make a decision which one I should buy:
an 05/06 325i
or an 06 GTI 5 door.
Can someone give me some reasonable comparisons between the two cars (not edmunds.com s...). I currently own an 04 1.8t and I am happy performance wise but not comfort wise. I am waiting to test drive a 5 door. Can someone help me please?

well i tried to write a comparison of these two cars and realized i havent driven either one.

some things that should be considered are:
FWD vs. RWD
price:name ratio
warranty, price and availability of parts
reviews of the car i.e. car of the year= gti best coupe = 3 series.

with the introduction of the 5 door gti to the states and the versatility of the hatch... IMO the gti is a good all around car

Das_Meister

Go Kart Newbie
Top Gear BBC awards

GTI: 2005 Best car of the year

BMW 3 series: 2005 ugliest car of the year

I personally don't think the BMW is all that bad.

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
Depends on what you're looking for. The BMW is more money but it is also a lot more refined. It has more technology that the GTI by large amounts. Things like brakes that dry themselves when it's raining outside, and brakes that change pressure when you're coming towards a stop to make the braking more smooth. It also has power seats, memory seats, power folding mirrors, better sound system, and convenience features that the golf doesn't have.

On the downside it is much more expensive, has poorer gas mileage, and costs more to fix once the warranty is up, although in it's defence, the 3 series has free scheduled maintenance for the first 4 years of ownership.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
MAlby7 said:
(BMW has...) brakes that change pressure when you're coming towards a stop to make the braking more smooth.

The GTI's brakes are servo-assisted resulting in a braking based on amount of pressure placed on pedal and speed of application of pressure (for instance, if I slam the brakes hard the servo-assist will apply maximum safe braking; if I'm braking gently and gradually increasing, the servo assist will do the same).

The GTI is a nicer (and more unique car) I think, and apart from little luxuries (fully electronic seats, which are sadly EU only (not even the UK!) and a somewhat bigger boot) the GTI is better. My friend has a 325 (I think it's an early 05 one) and I can beat him straight-line; I think the GTI produces more torque, though I'm not 100% certain on this.
The leather seats on the GTI are also much more comfortable than the leather BMW seats (at least the 05 ones, I don't know if they're changed much), and space for rear passengers is also greater in the GTI (my friends find more legroom in my car than in the BMW, and more headspace, and I have my seat pretty far back).
Plus, the GTI has DSG as an option. The BMW tiptronic nonsense is a bit naff.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Thank you everyone. I think I will stick to vdub. However, does anyone know the difference between the mkIV and mkV seat size and comfort? Because I hate the seats in the mkIV.

fishst1x

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 GTI
I am trying to make a decision which one I should buy:
an 05/06 325i
or an 06 GTI 5 door.
Can someone give me some reasonable comparisons between the two cars (not edmunds.com s...). I currently own an 04 1.8t and I am happy performance wise but not comfort wise. I am waiting to test drive a 5 door. Can someone help me please?

go with ur gut...gti's are fun but so is a 135i. gti will get u young bitches...bmw will get u older bitches...

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
go with ur gut...gti's are fun but so is a 135i. gti will get u young bitches...bmw will get u older bitches...

Pretty sure he already made a decision about this 4 years ago...

nate122

Go Kart Champion
gti hands down
i love the e46 model bmw's but i've heard they got some reliability issues. electrical, window regulator, etc. all in all i think you would have much more fun with the gti. the mkiv to mkv is a big change. test drive both and let us know what your decision comes to in the end.

mcshaft

GTI or 325

Hi there.
I recently had a '07 325 Convertable. To be honest the Beemer was a great car. Quick, relaible and reasonable on juice. I have had to change as the two kids are getting bigger and the car just is totally unsuitable for this type of family activity.
If you are hell ebnt on the beemer avoid the 19" rims and the m sport suspension if you live anywhere in the country side. I had a lot of trouble with wheels and tyres with mine and the suspension seemed to bottom out a lot more than I woul have expected.

This any use or is there any specifics you want me to expand on?

McShaft

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Gti

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Never liked BMWs. Go close the door on a bmw and then on a vw audi and you can hear the difference. Bmw handle great but have never been my cup of tea.

HyeWarrior

Banned
Car(s)
GTI
I have an E46 and PLEAD you to go with the GTI. When I had a GTI, I never had a single problem with it. Ever since I got the E46 325i, it's been nothing but problems:

-Driver side projector light doesn't work rarely
-If you think MKV's rattle, my E46 sounds like it has bags of pennies in the doors
-Sun shade for the sun roof broke (happened today)
-Driver side mirror is about to fall out and has decay on the edges
-The huge interior trim pieces have cracks
-Seats are uncomfortable and a pain in the ass to maintain (I have the sports package seats)
-Loud engine clunks
-Rear passenger side window regulator went out within a month of having the car, now the driver side rear window sounds like its about to go out, so I don't roll it down ever.
-Suspension creaks loudly for no god damn reason
-Brakes make so much dust that your wheels are dirty within a day after driving. No exaggeration, it seriously looks like gunmetal right now when its supposed to be silver.
-And last but certainly not least, the maintenance. I'm 10,000 miles past due of doing Inspection II which can be a $700-$1000 service at the dealership. And that doesn't include repairing anything that may be discovered to be broken or about to break.

FML, I want a Vdub again.

Mayday5

Ready to race!
get the gti, trust me. my girlfriend had an 2004 325i while i had my gti and although it was nice it was too slow to me. it had enough power but the gti will take it easily. it did drive nicely and brakes are good compared to the gti but overall the the gti is more sporty and more unique, as someone previously mentioned. my girlfriend did, however have a lot of issues with her car but i have never experienced the amount of problems in any car, or bmw for that matter, as she. i think it had to do with the fact that she got the car from a private seller, so go with a dealer.
it all depends on your priorities i guess. the bmw 325i is more about luxury than sporty driving while the opposite applies to the gti. though i think you get just as much refinement in both. good luck!