GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Going to go to middle of nowhere Alabama tomorrow and I get to drive 7 hours to get there with a smelly co-worker. YAY!

Dang, you may drive through Muscle Shoals Alabama, it says it's only 30 minutes north of Red Bay

There are a couple of recording studios there that made a billion #1 albums in the 60's & 70's. I've wanted to go there for a while now & hit up the museums & what not.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey Eric, any protips for brushed electric motors? I think I burned one up in my R/C car and I'd like to repair it if possible. It was cheap, so I figured I could experiment with it without too much worry.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Check commutator for grooves, polish it out with 000 or 0000 steel wool if needed. If the brushes overheated (blued) replace them. If you're using electronics cleaner don't get it on the brushes as it can soften them. If you do replace the brushes, run the car for a min or so at low speed to break them in before going WOT

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Check commutator for grooves, polish it out with 000 or 0000 steel wool if needed. If the brushes overheated (blued) replace them. If you're using electronics cleaner don't get it on the brushes as it can soften them. If you do replace the brushes, run the car for a min or so at low speed to break them in before going WOT
Thanks. It looks like the commutator and brushes are both a bit blued. Also seems that there's some lines on the armature. They don't feel to be below the surface though. The magnets though, they have some lines/gouges in them that are pretty deep.

Edit: Took a photo in the daylight.

1. Commutator is discolored, but I think it could be cleaned up.
2. Umm... I think this is the culprit. The windings are really discolor and this particular section broke.
3. Slight discoloration on armature. I think it could be cleaned.
4. Pretty deep grooves in the magnets. Probably from the snapped winding hitting.
5. Brushes actually look okay.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are those motors really so expensive? Just get a new one.

The problem is that they're dated and somewhat hard to find anymore. I have one in the truck, so it runs and all, but I figured if I could just clean something up, it would be good to have as a backup.

Edit: Also, I'm cheap.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Thanks. It looks like the commutator and brushes are both a bit blued. Also seems that there's some lines on the armature. They don't feel to be below the surface though. The magnets though, they have some lines/gouges in them that are pretty deep.

Edit: Took a photo in the daylight.

1. Commutator is discolored, but I think it could be cleaned up.
2. Umm... I think this is the culprit. The windings are really discolor and this particular section broke.
3. Slight discoloration on armature. I think it could be cleaned.
4. Pretty deep grooves in the magnets. Probably from the snapped winding hitting.
5. Brushes actually look okay.

Them online communication skills :wub:

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Just built this badass built in cabinet for my bathroom complete with rabbet joints, pocket holes for adjustable height shelving etc. Went to go put it in, wouldn't fit, too wide. I mixed up the width and depth when I cut the pieces so now it's too wide and not deep enough. I am not a smart man. Going to call this one a toy box for the kids and start over