GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Problem Resolved

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
So, about a month and a half ago I got in my 2008 GTI to go to work and the engine wouldn't start. I look at the MFD and I see the dreaded flashing PRNDS lights. Turn the key to the off position and try again. The car starts right up, worked fine, no CEL or flashing lights. So I go to work and don't have any further problems until...

Fast forward to last Monday. Try to start the car, but it won't start. Once again I have the flashing PRNDS lights, and this time I have a CEL. I try repeatedly to get the car to start, and it eventually starts up, but won't shift out of Park. Gave up and drove the F-150 to work. Tried to start the GTI again the next day and it started right up (still had the CEL), so I drove it to the dealership for repair.

On Friday I got a call from the service manager, he said that it was the tiptronic switch, which is the switch that tells the transmission what position the shifter is in (I think). At any rate, he stated that the switch was failing electrically and was causing a self test failure. The part is on order and will arrive on Monday.

Get a call today (Tuesday) stating that the car is ready for pick up, so off to the dealership I go. When I get there the service manager said that they had replaced the entire gear shift assembly (P/N 1K1713041B). Sounds good to me, and the repair was covered under warranty.

I'm happy. I got a new gear shift and the problem appears to be solved. I tried shifting between Drive, Sport and tiptronic modes on the way home and everything was as it should be. No flashing lights. I hit 16K on the odometer on the way home.

The service manager was very nice and I'm really happy with the way I was treated. I think they did a good job. After some of the posts I've seen here on warranty service at other dealerships I was a little worried.

It's so nice to be driving my GTI again. :happyanim:

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
Nice, those things are $600 msrp, hehe. Hooray for warranty.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Sounds like the same problem I had a few months back.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I had this exact problem a few weeks ago, gear level position sensor (tiptronic sensor). Replaced and no problems since then. Was worried it was a mechatronic issue.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
No, he is talking about the actual shifter assembly inside the cabin. Mechatronic units are several thousands each.

MACH GTI

Ready to race!
No, he is talking about the actual shifter assembly inside the cabin. Mechatronic units are several thousands each.

nay, they're only like 2000 something including labor. At least thats i what i saw on the bill when i had mine replaced under warranty.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Interesting. Good to hear you were taken care of by VW the way we all should be :thumbsup:

Slightly off topic - I was under the impression that I was having issues with the mechatronics unit on my DSG (clunking sounds when shifting from 2-1 gear) and was going to bring it to the dealership, however, I used the throttle body alignment feature on my APR chip and ran the car in stock mode for the next two days. All the issues I had dissipated and it's running great back on the APR file.

If I ever run into the issue you experienced (personally I would probably flip out) I'm going to ask if the option to purchase the Edition 30 DSG shift knob exists...that thing is sweet :biggrin: Interesting that the communication was sporadic, though. Perhaps it was a loose wire or something...weird. What makes me smile most is how good the dealership was with the repair. Fantastic.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Interesting. Good to hear you were taken care of by VW the way we all should be :thumbsup:

If I ever run into the issue you experienced (personally I would probably flip out) I'm going to ask if the option to purchase the Edition 30 DSG shift knob exists...that thing is sweet :biggrin: Interesting that the communication was sporadic, though. Perhaps it was a loose wire or something...weird. What makes me smile most is how good the dealership was with the repair. Fantastic.

Thanks for the info on the DSG reset, I think I'll do that to mine. The shifter itself is not replaced, it's the metal lever going down to the position sensor on the gearbox itself. I refitted my car with the Ed30 DSG shift knob and that wasn't replaced, as I say it's the underlying assembly.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Thanks for the info on the DSG reset, I think I'll do that to mine. The shifter itself is not replaced, it's the metal lever going down to the position sensor on the gearbox itself. I refitted my car with the Ed30 DSG shift knob and that wasn't replaced, as I say it's the underlying assembly.

Whoops! I was thinking the issue was with the shift boot itself :yikes: