GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Does it just go over top of the OEM bumper?

Yeah, it just attaches over the OEM bumper with an adhesive. I'm not comfortable with just the adhesive so I'm going to drill a few holes and run some bolts and nuts through it to make sure it stays.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Got all my caliper rebuild parts in for the stoptechs. Gunna tackle that this weekend and hopefully get em swapped onto the car.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Lovin' all of this!!! Looking great!

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Did you register for Gridlife Midwest time attack yesterday? Two of my Mk7 buddies got in, Zac with the grey GTI in that build thread on Vortex and my friend Darryl in his white R

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Did you register for Gridlife Midwest time attack yesterday? Two of my Mk7 buddies got in, Zac with the grey GTI in that build thread on Vortex and my friend Darryl in his white R

I tried but didn't have a pretty reg code for this year so I didn't get a TA ticket. I'm kinda glad I didn't though since my car is falling between two classes. I'm just doing HPDE TA this year, my wife is doing HPDE novice. Are you coming this year???

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I tried but didn't have a pretty reg code for this year so I didn't get a TA ticket. I'm kinda glad I didn't though since my car is falling between two classes. I'm just doing HPDE TA this year, my wife is doing HPDE novice. Are you coming this year???

Hopefully. Midwest doesn't conflict with the Ontario Time Attack schedule or either of my cousins' wedding so I should be there. I'm not planning to bring my car but I'll let you know once I figure it out

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
It was brought to my attention my net was mounted wrong. Fixed it!

Rear end is officially all done.

Just have to finish up the side splitters and flat bottom setup and aero is done. May or may not do front canards.

Finally started rebuilding the stoptechs. Have to order new pistons, don't like the way these look.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, didn't have the option of a different tire/wheel setup for this winter so the Starspecs are toast. Sucks because they still have a ton of life left. But got a good deal on some 275/40/17 Hoosier A6 slicks. Excited to see how these run.

Kept rolling on the under aero work.

Finally finished the passanger side splitter. Turned out great!

Started drafting up the flat bottom.

Have just enough after the splitters to do the bottom.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Your under body bracing game is weak, son!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So, when are you going to trailer this thing down to Road Atlanta so I can see it run? haha

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think you will like the slicks and the stiffer sidewalls. Should inspire even more confidence. It made a huge diff on the track with competition slicks for me. No going back to streetable tires on the track once you drive on these.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Your under body bracing game is weak, son!

Lol, I've got a few but after talking with a bunch of people about it, the center brace where the 2 small OEM ones go isn't worth it. I may add a few more here and there, for now the Stern rear brace and KMD front brace are working well. The roll bar also does A LOT of chassis bracing on its own and has allowed me to skimp out on the under braces.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So, when are you going to trailer this thing down to Road Atlanta so I can see it run? haha

Probably not for at least another year. Road Atlanta is on my list of tracks to hit for sure though. When the time comes I'll let ya know when we are heading out there.