GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Serpentine Belt

cwok80

Passed Driver's Ed
I know there are several threads on this but wanted to consolidate the info.

To replace the drive/accessory belt for a 2.0T FSI on a MKV GTI

1. buy the belt, part number 6PK1055
2. raise the car and support it on stand.
3. remove passanger side lower wheel well liner using a T-20 torx bit, you should remove 7-10 bolts, to move it down to get access to the crankshaft pulley and the ac pulley.

4. open up the hood, where the belt is, the tensioner is attached to a housing that has a tab which you can pull to the right using a 17mm open wrench. Pull it to lift the tensioner from the belt. you can than lock it in the lifted position with a allen key.
5. remove the belt
6. put in the new belt according to the routing of the diagram attached.
7. remove the allen key, the tensioner should go back in to its position.
8. start the car, observe the belt for several minutes, any strange noises or the belt slipping redo the installation.
9. Put back the wheel well liner.
Congrats, you just saved your self over $100 in service and parts fees .

Attachments

• DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 9,801
  • DSC00113.jpg
    DSC00113.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 10,941
  • golf-mk5-2045.png
    golf-mk5-2045.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 22,274

Elwood

3-7-77
Save yourself some time and don't jack up the car or remove the fender liner. You can tell with your hand if the belt is sitting on the pulley properly. Since its new and hasn't stretched, it won't move when you properly position it and release the tensioner.

Tifon

Car(s)
GTI MKV
Same to elwood. It is not needed to remove the wheel or jack up the car. You can do all the job from above.

airchina83

belt squeal when AC turned on

cwok80, thank you for the diy. You're a life saver, It was so embarrasing turning on the AC cause it would squeal really loud when accelerating.

It was very straight forward and easy, took 20min or less. Most of the time is aligning the belt onto the pulleys before releasing the tensioner. I used a 16mm box wrench and a small screwdriver for my 2008 Jetta GLI (129k mi). Belt was only $18 plus tax at my local euro auto parts store.

chrisitian

Thanks!

I replaced the serpentine belt on my 07 GTi thanks to this post.
All I needed was:
  • 17mm wrench
  • replacement belt
  • retaining pin (I actually used a nail like the one in the picture) lol

I didn't have to remove the passenger side lower wheel well liner. My hand was small enough to reach close to the bottom pulley. If you are bigger/taller, you might need to jack up the car.
Thanks everyone!

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
When you have the old belt off, it's also not a bad idea to spin the various accessory pulleys (tensioner, alternator, etc.) and listen to insure their bearings are nice and quiet.