GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air Ride Questions

514Rabbit

Ready to race!
Ok, I am doing some major changes on my car for the next season and had a few questions, hoping some of you could help me out.

First question: How much should I expect to spend on air ride for my MKV Rabbit
(Bags, Compressor, Installation).

2. How hard is it to maintain this kind of suspension?

3. Where can I have it done? Preferably in Quebec? If Not than in Ontario or Vermont, or NY, or NJ?

Thanks!

Alex

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
Ok, I am doing some major changes on my car for the next season and had a few questions, hoping some of you could help me out.

First question: How much should I expect to spend on air ride for my MKV Rabbit
(Bags, Compressor, Installation).

2. How hard is it to maintain this kind of suspension?

3. Where can I have it done? Preferably in Quebec? If Not than in Ontario or Vermont, or NY, or NJ?

Thanks!

Alex

I am going to be bagging soon too!:thumbup: Theres a guy on here "infrared" who is bagged and very knowlegeable of everything needed to do the job. He's a H20i right now so I dont think if he'll be posting for a few days.

The cost depends on whether or not you have coilovers already, If you don't have coilover expect to spend anywhere from $2500-$3500(depending on the components you choose). If you do already have coilovers or you want to keep your stock struts and just bag them you can get away with spending aroung $1500-$2000(also depending on components). Maintence from what I've gathered is minimal, just check you air/water seperator every once in a while, look over the lines make sure everything is clean, and there are no leaks. Now I have no Idea where you can have it done since there isn't really a big crowd for air here on the east coast/Canada.

Here are a few threads I highly recomend you read, there's lots of great information and can probably answer many of your questions, also go to www.vwvortex.com and look in the "air suspension" section, there are a lot of bagged vw's so you can see other examples.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55642

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-plain-2007-volkswagen-rabbit-342273/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3290513

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3804237

loud3

Passed Driver's Ed
Adjustable suspension requires very little 'traditional' maintainence work. Just make sure you DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

I would DEFINITELY recommend investing in a watertrap between the compressor and the tank if your kit doesn't have one. Unless you want rusted valves/rusted tank.

I've had air suspension on almost everything I have driven (except the current DD.) and only had to replace parts because of mistakes I made in the initial install.

A good forum for you to learn a little about basic air suspension/fabrication would be streetsourcemag.com. The majority of the regular posters have EXTENSIVE modifications to the suspension of their vehicles, and LOTS of shops use their forum as a way to communicate (meaning finding a good shop in your area will be easier).

I would highly recommend using an 8 valve setup as well. Even if you don't plan on going 'side to side', it keeps your suspension from slopeing during corners as pressure slides from left to right, or vice versa.

514Rabbit

Ready to race!
Thanks a bunch guys! I ll be checking out the links :)

Alex

514Rabbit

Ready to race!
Really really really tempted... We have a big DUB community here in Montreal, but no MKV's on bags - someone s got to start :)

514Rabbit

Ready to race!
what about oscar? isn't he in canada?

Never heard of "oscar":iono:

Also, Canada has the longest coastline in the world: 243,000 kilometres... NY/NJ is MUCH closer to me than... let's say British Colombia... in fact, I live only 1 hour away from VERMONT/NEW YORK boarder :)

BLKSUNSHINE

Banned
Car(s)
BAGGED MKV GTI
Where can I get air ride installed in NEW YORK AREA long island would be the best????

Go to vortex and speak to Paulito & Piff.. They do it over the weekend.. that includes a frame notch aswell. You would need to pc together the parts.. I'd recommend Air-assisted (kevin) for air mgt.. and for struts.. either mason-tech or Bagyards..

All in all... if you do it correctly.. a rough estimate is about $2500-$4K not including install if your not doing it yourself.