GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! 09' GTI Won't Start After Fuse Change

Eras15

Hey Guys,

I was trying to add some LED's to my parking lights and they went out on me so I checked the fuses. Well after checking all the fuses I think I might have messed up, now the vehicle will not start? When I turn the key with the clutch in nothing happens, not even a click or anything. Battery has over 13 volts so its not the battery.

When I simply turn the key to the run position none of the lights on the dashboard even light up. The only thing that lights up is the center information screen.

Any help would be appreciated guys!

I checked all the fuses and I think they are all in the right spot and none of them are blown.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
At the risk of offering useless information; my 07 has a split battery cable (like most cars) with the larger cable going to the starting motor and the smaller diameter red (also +) cable going up on the front wall of the fuse compartment to a bus that goes across the top of that wall. There are "bolt down" fuse elements on that wall that distribute power in addition to all of the "flag-fuses" that plug in under the top cover. (I'm giving ground (-) the benefit of the doubt here.
Start checking what's coming in and follow it through every fuse path. There has to be an open somewhere unless the computer in these cars has the capability to "shut-down" the car in a way I don't understand.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So you pull the fuses to check them are you sure you put them in the correct location.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
So you pull the fuses to check them are you sure you put them in the correct location.

Pull this! (Just joking). Those bolt down fuses supply power to major areas of the car. You can check both sides of them without removal. The "flag-fuses" are on individual circuits to devices. I think the power issue is before them in the "battery path". A meter is ideal for this but a lamp in a socket with two wires connected to it will do the trick. One wire (meter lead) on ground and the other (to first) the supply side of a fuse then the load side. You should see voltage on either side to know the fuse is good. If your missing voltage on the supply side then Whoa!, time to back up and find where you lost continuity. Be methodical and take notes if necessary so you don't frustrate yourself is my advise.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Guys...........I checked all the fuses and I think they are all in the right spot and none of them are blown.

My post was intended for Op not on your method for checking fuses. I have seen this issues posted here more than once on people pulling fuses and then putting them in the wrong spot and have no start or other issues like Abs etc.

Eras15

Thank you guys for the input but I think I put a fuse in the wrong place when I put it back. After looking at a bunch of diagrams I just got it towed to the dealership. They are looking at it still, but last I heard from my service adviser he said "socket 15" was not getting power.

I will hear back from them on Monday.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
It is so easy to take pictures of anything before you take them apart, I do it all the time now just to avoid situations like this. Expensive lessons are sometimes the best ones! Hope everything works out in your favor.

Eras15

It is so easy to take pictures of anything before you take them apart, I do it all the time now just to avoid situations like this. Expensive lessons are sometimes the best ones! Hope everything works out in your favor.

I am usually good about it and typically do it. But this was most likely a dumb expensive error on my end.

I will update this tomorrow, thanks for the help guys.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you guys for the input but I think I put a fuse in the wrong place when I put it back. After looking at a bunch of diagrams I just got it towed to the dealership. They are looking at it still, but last I heard from my service adviser he said "socket 15" was not getting power.

I will hear back from them on Monday.

I wonder if that socket 15 is SC15 one of the fuses for J519. Did you pull fuses from the instrument side panel?

Eras15

I wonder if that socket 15 is SC15 one of the fuses for J519. Did you pull fuses from the instrument side panel?

Yes I did, I pulled a good amount of them to check to see if anything was blown.

Engine bay and instrument panel ones.

Eras15

Just got off the phone with the dealer, the fuse was misplaced and in the wrong number socket.

I feel like an idiot but the diagrams in the owners manual and online are horrible for that year so I did not have many other options.

Next time I will be taking photos of it before I touch it.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
That happens and unfortunately even the info directly from VW seems to be lacking at times, fuses and relays that do not exist etc.

Got any picks of your weekend driver:)

Eras15

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
If I can give you a tip regarding fuses, it is not to use any online fuse diagram. Your owner manual is the most accurate diagram you will get because those cars have many different fuses configurations (have been there ;))

Eras15

If I can give you a tip regarding fuses, it is not to use any online fuse diagram. Your owner manual is the most accurate diagram you will get because those cars have many different fuses configurations (have been there ;))

I swear my manual was not even close to being accurate. I will try to take some pictures tonight and post them up.