GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autometer Dashlink - anybody using it?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
As part of my rebuild/refresh of the car I want to add gauges but really prefer not to add analog dials all over and all the connections etc.

Autometer and others I assume have ODBII modules that will connect via Bluetooth to a number of mainstream phones and pads.

In particular I am thinking of using the Autometer Dashlink along with an Ipad, in something like a Padbay (mounting system that holds ipad in front of your 2din stereo.

You get access to quite a bit of the ECU info and it is displayed in digital gauge format and you can swipe to different formats/information.

Looks like what I want but wonder if anyone here has experience with it to tell me its great .... or not.

Autometer Dashlink

Last edited:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Unless they have better dupport the Torque app and a bluetooth canbus dongle would probably be a better solution

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm actually a big fan of the polar FIS

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm actually a big fan of the polar FIS

Yeah, same data but I don't care for display or placement which is a personal thing. Polar is a solid solution though.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Unless they have better dupport the Torque app and a bluetooth canbus dongle would probably be a better solution

Wow, yeah I just took a look and nothing special about Dashlink dongle except being overpriced. I am sticking with iOS so there are fewer choices for apps but very little cost to try it out. Thank you for the tip. I already have a few iPads so for less than 50 bux I can give this a try.

tedted

TORQUE app ftw !

ive been using it for awhile. make sure to get the pro as it unlocks more channels (sensors to view) and lets you do data logs.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So, did a little more googling and for iOS, OBD FUSION is the most popular. I ordered an approved adapter from their list, only certain ones work well with iOS.

Bought a Carista Bluetooth adapter off Amazon for 35 and the app for 10. Hooked up to the Audi this morning and it connected effortlessly and worked great.

Thanks for the help guys, saved a bunch of money and does all the same stuff I need as Autometer.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
You can do all of this for free with Torque and a $5 bluetooth reader. Get VCDS or OBDeleven though for diagnostics. Carista is pretty limited compared to those. Or hell just get a knockoff VCDS cable from ebay

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
VCDS kinda sucks for that purpose unless they added easy to read at a glance guages in their last update. Id love for RossTech to update their garbage interface. I know Torque + a bluetooth canbus reader (The $5 ones update too slow if you are looking at more than a few things) is amazing on android.

Carista and ODBFusion look pretty sweet if you are on a Apple platform.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
You can do all of this for free with Torque and a $5 bluetooth reader. Get VCDS or OBDeleven though for diagnostics. Carista is pretty limited compared to those. Or hell just get a knockoff VCDS cable from ebay

I am just not willing to go android as mentioned in my original post... I really prefer iOS/Apple. Torque is android only but looks like market leader on that platform.

Not using Carista software which is diag only. Just using a Carista dongle. Unlike android OS not all dongles work with ios.

I do use Ross-Tech cable for diag stuff. This solution is only to display gauges for me on a mounted iPad Mini 4.

tedted

The only bad thing I have to say about torque (because its fking amazing!) is that it shows I have a p0171 when vcds shows I have a p2177.

I dont know if that has anything to do with my low maf readings/ running a 25% ltft or not but yea...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 thats what I have and i feel it works with real time gauges pretty accurately. I have IAT,MAF,AFr, Rear 02, FRP, and both fuel trims going on my phone display.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
OBD fusion + Carista works OK, but no VAG PIDs built in, just GM & Ford. No VAG in the in-app purchases either.

There shed loads of SAE PIDs but most of them irrelevant to the GTI, and oil temp doesn't work.

But the worst things are the battery consumption and phone temperature. It used 1% battery per mile on my iPhone7, and the handset gets very warm.

It's a novel toy, but a professional monitor it is not, far from it. We need a proper VAG specific one that's less laggy and less resource hungry.

VCDS mobile can do gauges btw, if you get the HEX-NET interface.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
OBD fusion + Carista works OK, but no VAG PIDs built in, just GM & Ford. No VAG in the in-app purchases either.

There shed loads of SAE PIDs but most of them irrelevant to the GTI, and oil temp doesn't work.

But the worst things are the battery consumption and phone temperature. It used 1% battery per mile on my iPhone7, and the handset gets very warm.

It's a novel toy, but a professional monitor it is not, far from it. We need a proper VAG specific one that's less laggy and less resource hungry.

VCDS mobile can do gauges btw, if you get the HEX-NET interface.

Battery consumption is not an issue as I plan to power the Mini 4. I didn't really expect to get a professional monitor for 50 dollars, just a few gauges is all I am after.

I have a Hex+Can cable for maint/troubleshooting/logging. I did not know that Hex-Net could provide gauges, thank you for pointing that out, I will have a look at it but I suspect it would knock me off my preferred platform of iOs but for VAG specific I would go there.

Update: Yikes, 449 for Hex-Net. Win only for mobile use. WiFi or USB. Don't see any support for gauges with the VCDS mobile software. It may exist but if I have to look too hard it probably is not going to be a good choice as that usually means support for it is low. With the dongle price being 449 it certainly is not going to be a popular solution.

So far I think I would like to finds a solution that is an OBD wired solution to eliminate all the overhead (and possible interference with other devices) of wifi or bluetooth traffic that adds to latency.

Last edited: