GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Advice Please

Jonj161

Hello,

New forum member, need some real help here please.

I bought some alloys second hand which were advertised as ET42, it even says that on the receipt I was given from the original buyer. The size of the alloys are 6.5Jx17 and will be fitted with a 205/50/17 tyre.

My car is a 2005 Golf GT 2.0. Here comes the problem. Stamped on the inside of the wheel is ET33!! So I am assuming the receipt is wrong.

My question is will these fit my vehicle, I know they will be 17mm further out but taking into account the wheel and tyre size will they fit does anybody know? And by fit I mean work as they should with no fouling etc?

Any help appreciated thank you.

Jonj161

Hi, many thanks for replying.

The car is a GT so a model down for the GTI, I know the standard wheel for a GT was 7Jx17 but with an ET of 54 :/

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Right, but GTI wheels fit it fine....correct?

So...add just 5mm (which isn't that much) and they'll still fit fine. I promise
(assuming they're 5x112 and have a 57.1 bore...or hub rings for 57.1)

Jonj161

Hello, yes thats correct and they are 5x112 and 57.1, everything is correct but the ET.

I did try them, bearing in mind the car was on a jack and there was droop, here was the result. What do you think? Especially when they get tyres on. They look a bit far out to me?

Jonj161

I couldn't really read that chart so you think the wheels I have will be too big or would fit with tyres on?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
No it should be fine will fit

Largest GTI wheel vs your new wheels

https://s17.postimg.org/uwx52wywf/wheel.png

What I have done in the past when fitting new wheels and tires and not completely sure if it will fit or how it will look I only buy and mount one wheel/tire and try it in the different corners of the car.

Jonj161

Ok thank you, thanks for everyones help. Will have a good think about this.

Out of interest what size tyre would be best on a 17" 6.5 rim, 205/50/17 or 215/45/17 ?