GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aging Tires

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Hello all,

What are your thoughts on aging tires. I purchased a set of wheel where the tires have a date stamp from 13 years ago. They look to be in good shape, plenty of tread. No signs of dry rot however the rubber is very hard.

Thoughts??

gerrywac

Passed Driver's Ed
There are no hard and fast rules as a great deal depends on how tyres have been stored, temperature, exposure to light etc .As you mention rubber does harden with age. Tyres that have been left standing with weight will develop a flat and be out of shape

Michelin the French tyre giants suggest at least a yearly inspection after 5 years and a maximum age of 10 years

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
The Tire Rack site says not to use tires that are over 10 years old if they've never been used but there aren't any concrete rules if they have. At 13 years old I wouldn't do any aggressive driving on them but if they look ok and have good grip they're probably fine for commuting.

jad413

Ready to race!
Replace 'em. I would not drive on a tire if I didn't have 100% confidence in its structural integrity. At least not on a public road with other people.

Sent from my iPhone

Zach L

VR junkie
Pimp em till they pop

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Replace 'em. I would not drive on a tire if I didn't have 100% confidence in its structural integrity. At least not on a public road with other people.

Sent from my iPhone

THIS. How much is your life worth to you? And just because a tire looks good on the outside doesn't mean anything. Look inside, where condensation forms and rots the rubber.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I would cautiously try them out. I buy tires every 2-3 years because of the mileage I drive.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
13 years is too old. Might look good on the outside but who knows if the layers will de-laminate at speed. Even worse if you are running significant camber.

Save them for a burnout contest and give them a viking funeral.