GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension for Auto-X and budget

eastsideride

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone,

I need a little advice from anyone who does occasional Auto-X days with their GTIs. My 2008 GTI currently sits at 113K on stock suspension. I was thinking of purchasing something to improve the handling and set the car a bit lower, but without breaking the bank.

I have been debating between lowering springs, used cupkit, or used coils. I have seen an H&R Cupkit for a decent price and FK Highlines also for a decent price. OR I could buy new springs.

What would you recommend? Seems from what I read they are good products.

Thanks!

eastsideride

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you done swaybars yet?
No rear sway bar yet. But from what I read that is a great option so I do plan to do that
Rear sway bar

Everyone I autocross with has Koni Yellows and springs or name brand coilovers
Yea I figured. I'm just trying to stay on a tight budget. Which is why I'm looking used. I know H&R is quality and seems FK is too from what I read

jonht96

Bilstein PSS coils ride pretty good and handle very well with TT mounts. I've got them with H&R Sways and it is very livable to ride in. Handles like money, I just need to get my lazy a$$ to put in my poly bushings in the rear end. Poly bushings up front in the control arms help a lot too. Tldr if you can find something stiffer to replace any component in your suspension put it on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mighty20t

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, sorry for hijjacking your thread, but I've also been searching for a good setup on the budget.

I currently have H&R sport springs (1" drop) paired with Koni STR.T (orange). I've had them on for about 7 months and I feel like I'm starting to hate them now. I went on two cruises on some backroads and they feel too bouncy with car all over the place. I've noticed this bounciness during regular driving as well. Haven't tested them on track yet. My assumption here is that I've paired stock-like shocks with springs that have a much higher rebound rate?

So, to salvage what I currently have instead of blowing $1,200 on coilovers, I'm thinking about going with Koni Yellows (adjustable dampening). Any insight?

Also, how's the Hotchkiss sway bar compared to the H&R 24mm bar?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
My assumption here is that I've paired stock-like shocks with springs that have a much higher rebound rate?

So, to salvage what I currently have instead of blowing $1,200 on coilovers, I'm thinking about going with Koni Yellows (adjustable dampening). Any insight?

Also, how's the Hotchkiss sway bar compared to the H&R 24mm bar?

Yup on the STR.T's

Koni Yellows are a waaaay better choice :thumbsup:

Hotchkis bar is awesome, but will require maintenance/lubing. Almost overkill for a DD....guess it depends on how you drive. (tracking?)
The H&R is nice too, but no maintenance for the bushings....probably the most ideal one for a DD.

So pick your poison

eastsideride

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been contemplating Koni Yellows as well paired with GC to adjust height and still adjust dampening. Just kinda costly. I was pointed to BC BR coilovers as well. So I think it would be one of those because adjustability for track is important. And its nice to soften them for times when I'm off the track which is more common

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
The bigger the bar the better. The Hotchkis bar has three adjustment levels so you can control how stiff is. It's the one I'd buy.