GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My 08 basically stock GTI vs 2015 Subbie STI WOW

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
My friends and I had a spirited night driving session today. 4 dudes, 2 per car, and we launched at a few lights. To my amazement, my gti only lost by 1.5 cars or so every time to the STI, from dead stop to 60-80mph.

I was dropping the clutch hard at 2.75k to 3k rpms... and modulating wheelspin as best i could (ESC off), i do have beefy 245/40/17 tires though. On the other hand, my friend seemed to be dropping the clutch at a pretty low rpm though, maybe 2k? not very familiar with boxer sounds, but it sounded pretty low rpm.

My car is stock, only has a 3 inch catless DP, suitcase delete and cone intake. Maybe 10-15hp at best over stock with this? No ECU tune, although it has wide 245's which do help...

Anyways, very impressed with my little GTI, kept up all around. Next time ill take my old man's 13' S4, show him who's boss. VAG son.

steveo17

Frankenbuilt
Car(s)
2006 CW GTI
Sounds like a good run man.

Those cars aren't that quick bone stock. I was running a conservative tune with my f23t which it made 265 to the wheels on. I ran my friends 15 sti and put a couple cars on him with ease from a 40.

Put about 3 grand into one though and they'll run 12.0 all day

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Just a friendly reminder that you're not anyone's boss if you beat someone in your parents' car. :thumbsup:

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Sounds like a good run man.

Those cars aren't that quick bone stock. I was running a conservative tune with my f23t which it made 265 to the wheels on. I ran my friends 15 sti and put a couple cars on him with ease from a 40.

Put about 3 grand into one though and they'll run 12.0 all day

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yup, this.

E85 tune, 1000cc injectors, intake and exhaust and you have yourself a car that will put down 350awhp and 400awtq pretty easily. That will launch control and its a pretty insane car for how little you have to do to it.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Also, OP, just some food for thought. I've ran my buddies E46 in my old STI(2013) stock. He destroyed me by probably 2 bus lengths 0-100. Now, once I got a tune/exhaust/intake. From a dig I had 3 cars on him by 100. From a roll 60-120 I had 2 cars on him.

That's a conservative tune OTS tune.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Good point Bunn...next, the race vs the Subie begins at 90mph...when the GTI's K03 loses.
I haven't lost to a Subie yet, but there are some seriously tuned ones out there...those off the shelf COBB tuned ones are mostly a waste of money other than the cool COBB sticker you get :drinking:

I run pretty consistent 12.8 but with 2.2sec 60ft ET's thanks to tires, but I have recently outrun an APR supercharged S5 that was running 12.7's. After dial-in I got 0.1 sec head start and near the end of the run I was adding distance to my lead. I believe I can outrun "many" cars that can pull off a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile as I trap 111 to 112 mph...but I have very unimpressive launches thanks to showing up with street tires.

Last edited:

turbod4life

turbod4life
Car(s)
vw gti mkv
Would like to see roh echt on sum slicks and rear seat&passenger seat removed

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Just a friendly reminder that you're not anyone's boss if you beat someone in your parents' car. :thumbsup:

Im not, audi is.

My friend talked smack after messing around that night, i needed the reinforcements...

and who do you think bought him that 15' STI anyways? fully loaded too...

I think bringing my old man's s4 some other time wont be much of a crime.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Good point Bunn...next, the race vs the Subie begins at 90mph...when the GTI's K03 loses.
I haven't lost to a Subie yet, but there are some seriously tuned ones out there...those off the shelf COBB tuned ones are mostly a waste of money other than the cool COBB sticker you get :drinking:

I run pretty consistent 12.8 but with 2.2sec 60ft ET's thanks to tires, but I have recently outrun an APR supercharged S5 that was running 12.7's. After dial-in I got 0.1 sec head start and near the end of the run I was adding distance to my lead. I believe I can outrun "many" cars that can pull off a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile as I trap 111 to 112 mph...but I have very unimpressive launches thanks to showing up with street tires.
I highly disagree with the waste of money. Most tuners tune to an accessport anyways. So you'd need one just to get a pro-tune.

Also, they are normally pretty damn reliable tunes and conservative. Not everyone is shooting to max their numbers on their cars. From stock to stage 2 it's 100hp at the crack gains. That's with an OTS. Hardly say that's a waste of money.

Joshfl420

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 WRX Premium
I highly disagree with the waste of money. Most tuners tune to an accessport anyways. So you'd need one just to get a pro-tune.

Also, they are normally pretty damn reliable tunes and conservative. Not everyone is shooting to max their numbers on their cars. From stock to stage 2 it's 100hp at the crack gains. That's with an OTS. Hardly say that's a waste of money.

Agreed. Happy to race his K04 with my "OTS" Cobb tune :thumbsup:
Def a bit easier to swallow over say $3k in KO4 upgrades to hit 12's though lol.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Agreed. Happy to race his K04 with my "OTS" Cobb tune :thumbsup:
Def a bit easier to swallow over say $3k in KO4 upgrades to hit 12's though lol.
Well I've never seen a Subi run 12's with a stage 2 setup. But I've also only seen cars at the 5500+elevation range. My STI ran a 13.2 and that's all I could get.

Doubt your WRX would give him a run for his money. All I'm saying is, for $650 V3 COBB OTS AP, and a $291 catless Invidia downpipe, but get 100hp from it at the crank is pretty insane. You really can't do that on any other car.

But drop another grand or so and go with 1000cc injectors, a protune, and E85 you are looking at 350awhp and 400awtq. Fuh. For $2000 you are looking at 130awhp and 175-185awtq gain over a stock STI. I mean that's fucking crazy.

Will give the GTI this, the engines way more reliable than a EJ. Hahaha