GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another reflector vs projector question (h11 vs 9006)

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
My wife's 2008 GTI shattered a fog lamp housing lens on the road. I figured I might as well switch over to projectors as the entire housing (+bulb) is now shot anyway.

Here's where I'm confused. The existing housings look like the attachment (reflectors), but the bulbs they use (and always have used are H11's...). A few different bulbfinder sites (sylvania, etc) are saying it should have been using a 9006. I understand the difference between the bulbs, and the difference between reflector vs projector housings. I'd think based on what I've read previously my '08 (not being an early NA MKV) should have reflectors with H11 bulbs (which appears to be the case).

My question is, I found the projector housings (that state they need 9006 bulbs) but is the wiring/plug the same? I can't find a side by side pic. Anybody have a link to a non-overpriced wiring adapter if I need it (which it sounds like I do).
Thanks.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
Thats the thing, I currently have H11s, I need an adapter that is the opposite of this.

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
Did the swap today

I ended up contacting rallylights.com and they sold me ceramic 9006 plugs to crimp on to the existing wiring, I'm not going back to H11/reflectors so a no-cut harness wasn't really necessary.

The whole job took ~20 min, I like the outcome.

Last edited:

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
...and a 9006 bulb is already out. So annoying.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
This is completely strange, VW reflector fogs use HB4/9006 bulbs and the VW projector housings use H11 bulbs. Was your housing that broke VW and is your replacement projectors VW?