GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any chance of this Golf

Big Swede

Ready to race!
Is there any chance that VW will get a model similiar to how Audi does their S3. I would love to see the same updated 2.0T with AWD available in the VW. It seems like it would make a nice in-between model placing it between the GTI and the R model. With the next R model coming in well over the $30,000 price range I think there is room for another model between the two.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
R32..

Big Swede

Ready to race!
gtiTom said:
I know what an R32 is I was wondering if VW would do something like Audi is doing. Audi has an A3 2.0T,an available 3.2 narrow angle V6 and is going to have an S3 that will come with an upgraded 2.0T(260hp) and AWD.

My question is VW has the GTI with the 200hp 2.0T and then it will jump up to the 260HP R32 with AWD. I think there are a bunch of us who like the 2.0T and would love to have an upgraded 2.0T with AWD instead of having to go with the R32. That way VW could take the R32 to a higher level of performance since a 260hp V6 is not that amazing anymore.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
Big Swede said:
I know what an R32 is I was wondering if VW would do something like Audi is doing. Audi has an A3 2.0T,an available 3.2 narrow angle V6 and is going to have an S3 that will come with an upgraded 2.0T(260hp) and AWD.

My question is VW has the GTI with the 200hp 2.0T and then it will jump up to the 260HP R32 with AWD. I think there are a bunch of us who like the 2.0T and would love to have an upgraded 2.0T with AWD instead of having to go with the R32. That way VW could take the R32 to a higher level of performance since a 260hp V6 is not that amazing anymore.

I couldn't agree with you more. Although awd has it's benefits, I think that the reduced weight and better fuel economy of fwd are usually the better compromise. I would DEFINITELY have been willing to pay an extra 1500 bucks for exactly the same car with the higher level of tune. My only guess is that Audi is very jealous of how well VW's perform next to Audi. They need a GTI Turbo S

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
I disagree. VW has already cut down production types for their various amounts of cars. There was an article of this in a previous thread. I don't think it will be much profitable to Volkswagen if they make a model in between a GTI and a R32. If you want AWD, just grab the R32. Just think of it this way, the Golf ( rabbit ) is an A3. The GTI is an S3. The R32 is a R3 ( which i dont know.. doesnt exist ). Remember that Volkswagen is a people's car. Some or alot attract the young. I'm sure Volkswagen doesn't want people to run around in higher powered engines than they should be. The Audi is a step up.. for some reason I think thats why it gives them the power to do so. The Audi is created for older people who somewhat can keep their power undercontrol. Now in terms of gas milege, if you turn a GTI into an AWD, 260horse + car.. I believe the fuel is going to go down and into the R32 Range. If you want something more powerful than a GTI or R32... go look into another manufacterer or S4.

My two cents.

P.S. I could go on and clarify what i just said above and actually try and make it make sense... but its late, and were all tired. So, therefore i tried to summarize what my brain was creating.

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
the GTI will never have the S3 engine, but the Audi will get RS3, a more powerfull version of the future S3...maybe V6 turbo?!?!?:))

also if u want AWD and 2.0 TFSI just get the A3 Sportback..great car, big bucks

bcaciopp

A smile every mile.
tmrakip said:
If I were to get the S3 engine, I'd damn well better have an S3 body too because that looks 1000x better than a GTI, sorry

I like the MkV's new looks very much. Audis dont do it for me.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
herrstreet said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Although awd has it's benefits, I think that the reduced weight and better fuel economy of fwd are usually the better compromise. I would DEFINITELY have been willing to pay an extra 1500 bucks for exactly the same car with the higher level of tune. My only guess is that Audi is very jealous of how well VW's perform next to Audi. They need a GTI Turbo S

First, if you spend $1500+ in aftermarket stuff (chip tuning, exhaust etc.) you'll be right where an R32 is, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. It will make for one very upset R32 owner.

Second, VW+Audi=VWAG (Volkswagen Automotive Group), so no one is jealous here. They make each other money. There are people that would buy a VW that wouldn't buy and Audi and the reverse is especially true.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Big Swede said:
My question is VW has the GTI with the 200hp 2.0T and then it will jump up to the 260HP R32 with AWD.
I just read in one of my magazines this month (Automobile or Motor Trend) that the 30 year anniversary one is "more than likely" going to boost the stock hp up to 235hp. But it didn't say anything about an AWD system. Either way, they're just tinkering with us like automobile mfg's always do. It's probably the same exact turbo but they've advanced the timing and allowed a little more boost. Which means you can save yourself the time and money and just get a reflash/chip program for yours. That's what I did. Then you'll be running the same type of numbers a R32 does.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I've been thinking....(danger)

There have been all these stories about Seat, and Bugatti, and Audi, and Skoda (VW subs.) all going to use the 2.0T with varying levels of power. If all the companies are doing is advancing the timing and raising the boost, will there be any reliability concerns later in the life of the car? do the manufacturers reinforce the engine in any way or is the exact same thing as we have in the GTI? Why can't they just give us 245 hp from the factory? I'm pissed. These aren't questions I expect answers for. Mostly just thinking out loud, and wondering if anyone else was curious as well?

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
sounds like too much turbo charging to me. i mean it just seems like too much power for a 2 litre engine, surely theres a chance the engine could wear out and die if pushed too much.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
You will NEVER see identical variations between Audi & VW. They are very wise on configrations and competing with one another.
Best bet is to buy and S3 or RS3 (European only) or in your case (North America) buy a A3 and do it yer self!

Big Swede

Ready to race!
newtogolf said:
sounds like too much turbo charging to me. i mean it just seems like too much power for a 2 litre engine, surely theres a chance the engine could wear out and die if pushed too much.
If Mopar can produce an SRT-4 with a stock 260hp and have upgrades that put it way over 300hp with a full factory warranty then VW/Audi can do the same. The Audi S3 will have 265hp and have an upgraded turbo, intercooler and stronger internals and still get 26 mpg.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
newtogolf said:
It's not too much. MFG's just like to tinker with the consumer. Everyone bit on the new larger 2.0 thingy. Next they will give it a little more power. It's all basic marketing 101. Of course they can do it and give it a warranty. Chances are it will last just as long. I don't anticipate my APR 93 octane car not lasting the life of its warrany either, but they don't want to give it all to ya in one car. There would be nothing to look forward to.