GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jack points?

hahnaroo

hahnaroo
Alright so i know theres places to put jackstands underneath the car but dont know where. Its a noob question but really never figured it out. Any help would be coooool

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright so i know theres places to put jackstands underneath the car but dont know where. Its a noob question but really never figured it out. Any help would be coooool

I have run into the same problem. There is are several places in the front of the car where you can fit jack stands, but in my experience, due to the placement of the jacking points, it was difficult (at best) to get the stands in around the jack.

The problem you are having is what drove me to come up with a way to jack the car on nearly any part side "seam" -- you can see in the link here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25484

I can jack the car up several inches back from where I want to place the jackstands -- certainly made life simpler for me.

Cheers,
DJM

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I just place the jack and the stands on the metal rail that runs parallel to the side skirts under the car. It works fine for me and runs the whole length from wheel to wheel.

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
yes me to it has a notch in it witch i figured was for the jack/lift.......... im pretty sure the manual says to use that as the jack point

KroenenMKV

Ready to race!
Bad pic but this is what you need to look for :

There are two of these on the under side of each side skirt. These point to the jack points. They look like inverted triangles. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
this is what has worked for me ...

I snapped some pics while lifting the car awhile back.

I lift the car from the front jack point. I have found I can safely position my floor jack so that it contacts the vertical metal jack plate and not the plastic parts (see third pic for detail). Lifting from the front jack point, front and back wheels come off the ground. The plate at the jack point is reinforced and so far it has not bent on me (I've lifted it more times than I care to recall too) At this camera angle, it looks like the plastic side skirt is contacting the jack -- it is not.

This permits placing the rear jack stand on the marked rear jack point,

I place the front jack stand under the alloy cap securing a suspension mounting point. This pic is shot while the load is still on the jack, jack stand not loaded.

This seems pretty solid. I guess you could jack from the suspension point and put the stands at the front jack points too, haven't tried that yet.

I actually try and sort of push the car off the jack stands before I crawl under it, and the front stands can "settle". The three places I have supported the car, so far nothing has bent.

Floor jack pic taken under full weight of car, before placing the jack stands.

Front jack stand loaded

rear jack stand loaded

mrlapou

Ready to race!
The front jacking ponit is inboard the normal car jack point. It's covered by a removable black plastic cover. Rear jack point is on trailing arm below a hole in it. Each location has option of jack point rubber, which clips in to their respective holes.
I'll look out a link which gives pics.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
The front jacking ponit is inboard the normal car jack point. It's covered by a removable black plastic cover. ...
There have been a few posts on the vwvortex where VW mechanics have warned against using that point. Said they often see this area collapsed. since they were warning against it, I chose not to try it. Do you have first hand experience using that point?

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I jack in the same spot as JetTurbo, except I put my front stands on the same rail that he puts his rear stands on.

Here's a fancy diagram I made:

(red=stand, yellow=jack)
If I'm going to jack the whole car to get under it, I start at the front. Jack up one coner and put in a stand and then keep doing that at each corner.