GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Every time a motorcycle is driving behind me and I notice they are hugging the right or left side of their lane, I'll move to the opposite side of the lane to let them see ahead. I always expect a wave if I leave the lane and they pass, but never get one...

Why do you bikers hug one side or the other, is there a reason?

Also, should I not do this, does it throw gravel or rocks up in their face?

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Every time a motorcycle is driving behind me and I notice they are hugging the right or left side of their lane, I'll move to the opposite side of the lane to let them see ahead. I always expect a wave if I leave the lane and they pass, but never get one...

Why do you bikers hug one side or the other, is there a reason?

Also, should I not do this, does it throw gravel or rocks up in their face?

Usually you want to be off to the side so you're visible in 2 mirrors, and so you're not riding in the center of the lane where all the oil and coolant and such gets dropped. Only time I ever see bikers wave for situations like that is when lane splitting/filtering is involved with you moving out of the way. That's just my thoughts on the matter though, may be different from others.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bought a new-to-me toy yesterday. It's going to feel good to be on two wheels again (well, once I get pedals and a helmet).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Got gypped - no pedals, mismatched tire brands, aftermarket grips - most likely wasn't well maintained.

None of those are indicators of poor maintenance.

Pedals - I asked him to take off the clip-in pedals for a reduced price since I have a preference. He removed them in the parking lot in front of me.

Tires - Front one is new two weeks ago. Matching tire brands is not a big deal.

Grips - Would you replace your car tires with the same bad ones that came from the factory once they wore out?

I have the maintenance records, including when the suspension was serviced.

Also, you have no idea what I paid, so I'm not sure how you can assume :biggrin:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
None of those are indicators of poor maintenance.

Pedals - I asked him to take off the clip-in pedals for a reduced price since I have a preference. He removed them in the parking lot in front of me.

Tires - Front one is new two weeks ago. Matching tire brands is not a big deal.

Grips - Would you replace your car tires with the same bad ones that came from the factory once they wore out?

I have the maintenance records, including when the suspension was serviced.

Also, you have no idea what I paid, so I'm not sure how you can assume :biggrin:

I was giving you shit, that's all stuff I would look for buying a used car, not a bicycle.

Don't know much about bikes but disc brakes are cool so :bow:

maintenance records for a bike, gtfo

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I was giving you shit, that's all stuff I would look for buying a used car, not a bicycle.

Don't know much about bikes but disc brakes are cool so :bow:

maintenance records for a bike, gtfo

I figured as much, but I figured I'd detail those things for you ;)

Yeah, the maintenance records were more communicated verbally, but the dude was super awesome and knew what he was talking about, so I believed him. He even set the suspension up for my weight before I picked it up. Going to hit him up as a riding partner at some point.

This thing feels pretty bomb proof to me. Super solid and the dual suspension is going to spoil me.

I just need to figured out if I want a roof rack or a hitch and carrier now...

P.s. Are you still not loving your MK7? Both of my A pillars are buzzing like a mother effer in the cold weather.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
I figured as much, but I figured I'd detail those things for you ;)

Yeah, the maintenance records were more communicated verbally, but the dude was super awesome and knew what he was talking about, so I believed him. He even set the suspension up for my weight before I picked it up. Going to hit him up as a riding partner at some point.

This thing feels pretty bomb proof to me. Super solid and the dual suspension is going to spoil me.

I just need to figured out if I want a roof rack or a hitch and carrier now...

P.s. Are you still not loving your MK7? Both of my A pillars are buzzing like a mother effer in the cold weather.

my mk7 is so soulless, idk, I still look back at it when I walk away from it in a parking lot so I guess deep down I like it. No pillar buzzing but my USB port broke and am having a hard time getting the dealer to fix it.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
my mk7 is so soulless, idk, I still look back at it when I walk away from it in a parking lot so I guess deep down I like it. No pillar buzzing but my USB port broke and am having a hard time getting the dealer to fix it.

At least you have a USB port haha. I only have that dumb proprietary thing and don't have a cable for it. Doesn't matter anyway since my car doesn't support Android Auto or CarPlay.