GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can i pass smog even though my cat is completely fried?

Notttravis707

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5Gti
My 2009 gti (tsi CBFA) started throwing code for the cat. Took it to my mechanic, he said its toast. he said my only option is to pay for a dealer cat. he mentioned theres an O2 spacer i can get that is similar to the oem cat and it should pass... Anybody have any idea what hes talking about and where to get one?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My 2009 gti (tsi CBFA) started throwing code for the cat. Took it to my mechanic, he said its toast. he said my only option is to pay for a dealer cat. he mentioned theres an O2 spacer i can get that is similar to the oem cat and it should pass... Anybody have any idea what hes talking about and where to get one?

Sounds fishy - what specific codes?

larcic

Ready to race!
the spacer may work to clear cel but you wont pass smog. a spacer is not similar to a cat at all. it just puts the o2 sensor at a 90 degree angle so that it cant read much of anything anymore. but there would still be just as much "smog" coming out of the back of your car... if you are willing to drive to a state that doesnt have inspection I'm sure you can find someone on a fb group that has a stock downpipe/midpipe you can also try a junkyard.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Im from California and have experience with this. If the p0420 was the only code you had an o2 spacer could possibly clear it. O2 spacers on these cars seem finicky though you might get rid of the p0420 but then throw an o2 lean code. BUT if they notice the o2 spacer when they do the visual inspection then you will fail automatically. Any modifications to the intake or emission systems that are not CARB approved are insta fail on the visual. 2000 and newer cars just get an OBD readiness check now for smog + visual, so if you can run through the readiness monitors with an obd monitoring program after you've had a spacer on for a while with no codes you can pass.

Unless you got the STAR smog request notice on your slip, I find that some of the smaller hole in the wall shops don't do a very thorough visual inspection, like they might quickly run an inspection mirror under the car for any obvious cat deletes or maybe just pop the hood real quick to look for any mods.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
the spacer may work to clear cel but you wont pass smog. a spacer is not similar to a cat at all. it just puts the o2 sensor at a 90 degree angle so that it cant read much of anything anymore. but there would still be just as much "smog" coming out of the back of your car... if you are willing to drive to a state that doesnt have inspection I'm sure you can find someone on a fb group that has a stock downpipe/midpipe you can also try a junkyard.

You cant just drive to another state and get smog for your car like that here.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I get code p420 catalytic system below efficiency below threshold bank A.

he said theres an 02 spacer that will fin in between the cat and the sensor and filter out enough to not show up.

Common problem for me was the last 02 sensor, I have replaced 3 of them in 9 years. Because they are after the cat they burn up eventually.

Smog check in cali is supposed to include a visual inspection of the emissions system which includeds the downpipe. Only an unaltered stock downpipe is considered legal. The other part of the smog check is the ODBII check of emissions. A bad O2 sensor will show up and contribute to a failed test.

Generally you replace the 02 sensor, then drive the car an hour or so with wide variety of timing and duration OR you run the routine with Ross-Tech cable/software to simulate that and see if it all passes. If it passes you should be good to go.

As mentioned, you can roll the dice and hope they don't look under your car if you choose to buy a spacer instead of a new 02 sensor or just do it right and play it safe.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Aren't emissions related parts covered under their own separate 8 year warranty?

https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-t...ns-epas-office-transportation-and-air-quality

Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
VW goes by the date it was sold, but ymmv because dealers.

larcic

Ready to race!
You cant just drive to another state and get smog for your car like that here.

lol i meant drive to another state to pick up a down pipe and midpipe from someone that went catless I thought that was clear

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
You could just borrow the pipe from someone until you pass. But yeah, one dealer quoted me like 1100 for one when the 1st cat next to the turbo shot outta the flange on my old gli. You could find them on eBay or Craigslist or just ask a gti buddy to borrow stock.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Never had a cat since i have had the car pass smog fine with it but there is no visual in this state. Have been running a 42DD spacer for years with no problems whatsoever

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Join one of the audi/vw bay nor cal groups on facebook I see people asking to borrow downpipes all the time.