GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Clutch for GTI FSI cars

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
Not for nothing the OEM FSI clutch handles well, i've thrown everything at it and not once in the 6 years i've owned this car has it slipped or failed. **knock on wood**

STR8SHOOTR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI FSI
recently had my SB stage 2 endurance installed with a wavetrac lsd and it runs great, night and day from the stock stuff. Im sure any clutch parts if you mistreat them there gonna fail, Theres alot of happy SB users out there with no problems, I hope im one of them but time will tell. So far very happy!

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
recently had my SB stage 2 endurance installed with a wavetrac lsd and it runs great, night and day from the stock stuff. Im sure any clutch parts if you mistreat them there gonna fail, Theres alot of happy SB users out there with no problems, I hope im one of them but time will tell. So far very happy!

:thumbsup:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
There's another thread I just bumped that talks about the golf R clutch. I'm not sure if it has been established that it's the same part number, but seems it'll still fit a GTI. Dunno of it has proven to be an upgrade though.

I saved money and retained stockish drivability by buying a $399 Southbend Stage 3 TSI clutch disk and adding it to my factory clutch assembly. Stock flywheel and pressure plate, but a grippier clutch disk that is designed to hold to 350tq. No added NVH, minimal extra clutch effort, and holds better than my stock clutch behind my K04, at a fraction of the cost of getting a full clutch/ flywheel kit. It isn't as easy to drive smoothly as the clutch is much more grabby and the engagement point is much more abrupt, but such is the Racecar business.

And yes, that Southbend TSI clutch disk fits the FSI. They don't list an FSI part number but I confirmed this on the phone with SB before placing my order and installing in my 08 FSI car.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
There seem to be a lot of R clutch failure threads on mk6 as well as vortex. Some stock Rs are slipping with very little mileage on them. Apparently the dealerships have been replacing the original ones with an uprated VW revision. There's a new part number. I can't find it at the moment though.

Additionally, some of the R guys are picking up Sachs SRE clutches.

Disc: 881864999502
Pressure plate: 883082001394
Kit: 001394.999502

Not sure where they're being imported though? I read that a few people ordered directly from Germany.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
There seem to be a lot of R clutch failure threads on mk6 as well as vortex. Some stock Rs are slipping with very little mileage on them. Apparently the dealerships have been replacing the original ones with an uprated VW revision. There's a new part number. I can't find it at the moment though.

Additionally, some of the R guys are picking up Sachs SRE clutches.

Disc: 881864999502
Pressure plate: 883082001394
Kit: 001394.999502

Not sure where they're being imported though? I read that a few people ordered directly from Germany.

Curious to see the new part # and what's different on the new kit.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Why not an oem clutch disc with a south bend SMF and pressure plate? Thats what I put in my car :)

How many miles you have on it? What kind of power?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I'm taking the opposite approach: running a stock DMF clutch assembly with a Southbend Stage 3 clutch disc in the middle. It's rated to hold 350tq and mine has been holding well for about 30k miles of K04 street use and a number of drag strip passes. It chatters and clatters a bit during clutch takeup or when the car is idling out of gear, especially now that I have harder motor mounts, and it's a little grabby, but other than a little touchiness and NVH at low speeds, it's very streetable. It's listed on the Southbend site as being a TSI part, and no FSI part was listed last I checked, but John at SB confirmed that the same clutch disk would fit an FSI, and indeed it does.