GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 and MKIV R32: experiences?

arjohe

Ready to race!
I have chance to trade my current MKV R32 (-07, DSG, 54.000 miles) to MKIV R32 (-03, manual, 82.000 miles). I could have 9000 euros money in this trade.

This is the MKIV R32 I have option to trade:

http://www.nettiauto.com/volkswagen/golf/4898522

Price for that is 16.500 euros and my MKV value is around 27.000 euros if sold directly.

How is your experience if you have driven both MKIV and MKV R32: which one you prefer and on which reasons?

I haven't still got chance to drive any MKIV R32..

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
MKIV R32 Pros:
- 6 Speed Manual
- Lighter
- Arguably more "Classic"
- Immediate cash for modding
- More selection of power mods

MKV R32 Pros:
- DSG
- More Modern (Haldex G2/better luxury)
- Stronger chassis
- Less mileage
- Faster (slighty... in various tests)

Really what it comes down to are 2 things:
1. Do you prefer manual or DSG?
2. do you care heavily about making more power or having more comfort systems?

arjohe

Ready to race!
MKIV R32 Pros:
- 6 Speed Manual
- Lighter
- Arguably more "Classic"
- Immediate cash for modding
- More selection of power mods

MKV R32 Pros:
- DSG
- More Modern (Haldex G2/better luxury)
- Stronger chassis
- Less mileage
- Faster (slighty... in various tests)

Really what it comes down to are 2 things:
1. Do you prefer manual or DSG?
2. do you care heavily about making more power or having more comfort systems?

Thanks for reply. To me DSG is probably as well pros as cons since as nice it is, there is still bigger possibility that it will fail at some point than with manual. Or at least its more hard to sell DSG with big mileage, thats for sure. But surely, manual requires more work to drive but maybe manual on the other hand fits to that type of car quite well... (?)

Quite many say that MKIV R32 has more feeling/emotion than MKV.

Yes, I would lose better looks when selling my MKV R32 but would in turn have quite bunch of money, 9000 euros is nice =) Oh and well, my MKV R32 has fabric seats and this MKIV has full leather :D

This is hard! :D

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
tough decision. Saab is right about your two main choices. dsg vs. manual is a deal breaker for lots of people. if your final factors are dsg vs. manual then consider this: dsg needs a tranny service every 40k which runs a pretty penny if u go to dealer. if u don't mind that, then stay mkv.

telaio

Ready to race!
DSG WOT gear-change sounds amazing....and you can do it in the middle of a corner. No full manuals for me any longer, at least not in sporty cars...

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
I would love to have a MKIV, MKV, and MKVI R in my stable...

However; to answer your question (sort of?):

"Quite many say that MKIV R32 has more feeling/emotion than MKV."

I would not say the MKIV has more emotion than the MKV. I would say the feel of the two cars is quite different, but more because they have different performance goals.

The MKIV is more a Road/Track car with GT comfort levels. It is more a raw driving experience, yes, but this is due more to its older chassis, less aggressive Haldex, and older technology than to a more "perfect" design feel or anything. You will be more involved and connected while driving one, no doubt.

The MKV is a far more GT car that is easily trackable because if its great chassis, Haldex and DSG. With the MKV they tried to build a "new .:R" that met the same abilities of the MKIV but with new levels of comfort, luxury, and convenience; and it shows.

Again, it really comes down to your personal preference. Do you want to be more involved in an older chassis, or more connected through technology?

For me, it's a simple answer depending on my situation at the time:

- If I had the option to own both, I would in a heartbeat.

- If I had the option to own only one, and it would be a daily driver: MKV .:R32 no question.

- If I had the option to own only one, but had a separate daily driver: MKIV .:R32 no question.

Just my personal take ;)

gotti

.:R32 OG lulz...
Car(s)
.:R32
Saab ftw...

arjohe

Ready to race!
I would love to have a MKIV, MKV, and MKVI R in my stable...

However; to answer your question (sort of?):

"Quite many say that MKIV R32 has more feeling/emotion than MKV."

I would not say the MKIV has more emotion than the MKV. I would say the feel of the two cars is quite different, but more because they have different performance goals.

The MKIV is more a Road/Track car with GT comfort levels. It is more a raw driving experience, yes, but this is due more to its older chassis, less aggressive Haldex, and older technology than to a more "perfect" design feel or anything. You will be more involved and connected while driving one, no doubt.

The MKV is a far more GT car that is easily trackable because if its great chassis, Haldex and DSG. With the MKV they tried to build a "new .:R" that met the same abilities of the MKIV but with new levels of comfort, luxury, and convenience; and it shows.

Again, it really comes down to your personal preference. Do you want to be more involved in an older chassis, or more connected through technology?

For me, it's a simple answer depending on my situation at the time:

- If I had the option to own both, I would in a heartbeat.

- If I had the option to own only one, and it would be a daily driver: MKV .:R32 no question.

- If I had the option to own only one, but had a separate daily driver: MKIV .:R32 no question.

Just my personal take ;)

Wow, nice answer, it really helped me to put things in perspective, thanks!

That is the point: many people, as well as this person who is offering his MKIV, uses it as second car. For me it would be the only car. Though I drive no more than 8000-9000 miles in a year.

From technology aspect, I've owned MKIV GTI manual so I know how that type of Golf is to drive at least over all driveability. Well, this MKIV R32 would have better leather seats than my current MKV fabric seats. Maybe the DSG is the biggest difference. But also one thing I've noticed: I drive my MKV R32 almost always in manual mode anyway with DSG. It is just much more fun. At least for me.

These things seems to point out that MKIV would probably not be bad choice at all. But one thing from your message just bothers me a bit in MKIV R32: if that older haldex etc technology with AWD truly feels worse than in MKV.

It is so damn hard to test drive MKIV R32 as its so rare in here. This guy would be coming from 400 miles away to make a trade so it is more or less deal already if I ask him to come.

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
This is a good read; a little basic but gets the point across: http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/

Gen 1 will not be as fast to react and it will not be as smooth or proprotional. Gen II uses more sensors and faster pumps to be able to react quicker and more accurately. Otherwise they are essentially the same system.

If you get a Competition controller for the Gen 1 you basically make it as close to full time 50/50 AWD as is possible with Haldex, so it can actually be better in some ways :biggrin:

Other than that, however, the Gen II will always be faster and better responding. And a Gen II is also switchable when you get the Performance controller and switch; you can go from stock to sport to race whenever you like.

arjohe

Ready to race!
This day was the day when I first drove MKIV R32. I must say first that manual gearbox was definetly positive surprise. Clutch was very smooth/light to push and still has good touch. In fact, it was quite more fun to drive with full manual. Maybe I also enjoyed it because for a change it was so fresh when driven 3 years with DSG only. BUT... driving MKIV felt surely more driving experience than with MKV. That MKIV had KN intake and performance also was in same level than with my MKV.

Cons... this where I would need your comments: Brakes felt MUCH worse than in MKV.. =( In fact, breaks felt like in any regular family car, I had to push it real hard compared to MKV. I hope that there was just something wrong with that car's brakes. But how you see it: is MKV brakes better than MKIV?

As conclusion I think I could be enjoying MKIV very much even after MKV...