GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Subframe Collar Driving Impressions Thread

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Figured I'd start something seperate from the Group Buy since it's over. If you didn't get them you are a fool.

Just installed, ran into some issues getting the subframe aligned properly which really just came down to me not following the instructions properly :iono:. Might have been a little bit of heat exhaustion involved, it was over 100F today WTF! Follow them to the T and you'll be fine. Eventually got everything bolted back up and got out for a test drive.

First Impressions, pop/clunk while hard turning is gone. Shift's feel smoother, possibly from less slop in the subframe. Maybe, a little better grip under acceleration too. Turning feels a little crisper. It's really amazing how many critical parts the subframe touches when you get under there!

Double weekend of AutoX tomorrow and Sunday, so I'll put them through their paces more then!

Bottom Line: These are sweet! Thank you TyrolSport! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fishy

Car(s)
Seat Leon PD140
Interesting read, did you have a re-alignment done after fitment or just straight out for a drive?

Fish

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
About how long did it take you to do the install? Also where did you place the jackstands to keep them out of your way while working?

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
It definitely needs re-aligned, it tracks straight but the wheel is about a half inch off to the left.

Install took about 3hrs which is probably way longer than it should have took, I suck at doing my own work and on top things dilly-dally frequently haha, god damn ADD. I got myself into a predicament where I couldn't get the collars to line up after bolting 4 of them in. So I had to take it down again, this time a little further, and we finally got it to line up. My advice is to take your time and hit the collars with a few turns and make your way around nice and slow. Keep going around until they are all in. Probs should take about an hr if you have your shit together.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Ohh, and had the car out at AutoX today. No pops/clunks, NICE! Also the car just feels all around better. Squeaked out a win in our Street Tire Challenge class beating out a new BRZ by .007!!! Really close, I'll see if I can do it again tomorrow.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
Subscribed... Will post my impressions when the damn things arrive!

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Nice, I'm glad I bought them in the group buy ...

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
It definitely needs re-aligned, it tracks straight but the wheel is about a half inch off to the left.

Are you talking about aligning the subframe so that the camber sits even on both sides? This was my one worry about removing the subframe, and I had hoped getting the kit would help with this so that there is less play to slide around.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
No, the sub frame will NOT move anywhere now. I think it just needs the steering recentered. Its natural position if I take my hands off the wheel is about an inch to he left. It still drives in straight line though unless I center the wheel myself.

Had another day of AutoX today still holding solid. Finished first in Street Tire Class again, this time beating a Golf R. We actually had VW 1,2,3 in my class! Dubmination!

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
No, the sub frame will NOT move anywhere now. I think it just needs the steering recentered. Its natural position if I take my hands off the wheel is about an inch to he left. It still drives in straight line though unless I center the wheel myself.

Had another day of AutoX today still holding solid. Finished first in Street Tire Class again, this time beating a Golf R. We actually had VW 1,2,3 in my class! Dubmination!

Ah perfect. That's what I was hoping. I just want it to line up perfectly when I put the subframe back on so that I don't need to make guesses on having an even amount of camber on both sides. It's a pain how they made the subframe affect the camber alignment.

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
I'm definitely sorry I missed the Group Buy considering I just got subframe clunk Sunday! :frown:

I installed my koni yellows & neuspeed sports last weekend. It rides great, but now I'm hearing clunking noises coming from the front end. I'm hoping it's just the subframe clunking & not something else I should be really concerned with. Despite the clunking, it rides great & is everything I was hoping for as far as comfort & handling goes. We torqued everything down really well when it went back together, and we used replacement strut/shock bearings, mounts, stretch bolts, etc. We removed both axle bolts, only pulled the driver's side hub off of the axle & didn't pull the hub off the passenger's side. We did maul the living shit out of the flat area of the hub, in front of where the strut sits in, to beat it down off of the stock strut. How easy is it to damage a ball bearing/CV joint from beating down on the hub like that? I didn't really see a 'nice' way to get those things off, they SOBs! You pretty much have to beat on them, hopefully that wouldn't hurt the joints...

I'm at 37k miles, I had guessed clunking only happens w/ higher mileage cars. Would a suspension install with a milder setup like the Koni/neuspeed sports cause it? I'm hearing metal bumping noises coming from the front end, mostly at lower speeds under 20 mph on uneven surfaces, which we have lots of in uptown New Orleans. I especially hear the noise when turning. Seems like it's mostly to the right side, but hear it towards the front left every now & then. Almost like somebody is tapping on my undercarriage with a hammer... does that sound like subframe clunking to you???

It does pull to the right just a little bit, but was planing on getting an alignment in a couple of weeks after it settles a little more regardless. I was thinking I could pick up the tyrolsport kit while I'm at it, hopefully that will solve the clunk. Any ideas on what a typical shop might charge to install the kit & an alignment?

TLDR - Do I got da clunk?!?

Last edited:

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
... does that sound like subframe clunking to you???
TLDR - Do I got da clunk?!?

Yup - you got the clunk!
Passat bolt and shim will fix but leave you wondering... Collars will fix and give you complete peace of mind