GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust
Ringer Racing

Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 06 wabbit
Vw clutch NOOB

I have a 06 rabbit and I took it to the dealer because it would not shift into reverse without trying a few times. I was told my clutch is bad and it would be 2k to replace it. I promptly pick my car up and drove home. I got two blocks from my home and I hear a whining noise and the car starts to smoke due to a fluid leak. I would say brake fluid if I had to guess. I get the clutch going out but why am I leaking fluid. I am mainly used to swaping hondas so a little help would be great.
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 08 Candy White GTI 6spd Manual
Send a message via AIM to Cryptic1911
slave cylinder is blown most likely. If it's leaking, it wont push the pressure plate springs in far enough to release the clutch, and also the leaking fluid will get on the clutch disk
2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turboback, Carbonio full intake, R8 coilpacks, PFR7B plugs @.028, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, TyrolSport bushings, 19" Miro stp3's
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

Thank you for the reply. Due to the foul smell of the fluid I am starting to think it is gear oil. If so the dealer is going to have to eat it (cost of repair). The trans case was resealed about 4 months ago. Any I have no clue as to why I would leak gear oil.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 08 Candy White GTI 6spd Manual
Send a message via AIM to Cryptic1911
oh yeah if it reeks, then it's gear oil.. probably not a good sign
2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turboback, Carbonio full intake, R8 coilpacks, PFR7B plugs @.028, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, TyrolSport bushings, 19" Miro stp3's
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

Yep its a leak. I wont know where it is coming from until I remove the trans.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
CharlieMKV
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Chicks Crazy
It can't be leaking from there, there's no gear oil in there...the only place the trans is sealed from leaking is here...looks to me like your leaking from your diff
Attached Images

CharlieMKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

I thought I might be leaking form the dif also But thats not the case. I got lucky It was the master slave.

Now it is time to order the clutch conversion, master slave and a set of triple squares..... I really hope I don't end up being wrong about the dif. Hell its covered I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the stealership.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
CharlieMKV
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Chicks Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker View Post
I thought I might be leaking form the dif also But thats not the case. I got lucky It was the master slave.

Now it is time to order the clutch conversion, master slave and a set of triple squares..... I really hope I don't end up being wrong about the dif. Hell its covered I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the stealership.
Clutch conversion?....you can find the those bits anywhere online, don't go for the cheap once tho, the last thing you want is a stripped bit or bolt
CharlieMKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

I will actually get the bits from cornwell or schwaben. As far as the clutch conversion I am going from dual mass to single mass(regular type of clutch)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

Hmmmm... my car has been at the dealership for a week now. Not one call to update me or anything. Looks like they are eating this one.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
John/Cue\Publik
Speed>stance

Drives: c2 turbo bunny
Send a message via AIM to John/Cue\Publik
I will say 06 and 07 rabbits are notorious for blowing the diff through the trans housing but you'd hear a lot of tumping
-2007 Rabbit 2.5:::Denvers: smoked clear sides: Textured GTI rear lower: Magnaflow exhaust: Techtonics High Flow Cat: Podi Boost Guage: VEI Dual Display Gauge Oil Pressure/ AFR: C2 Stg 2 turbo: Forge 007 DV : TDI o2j-b swap: Quaife LSD: Cryo Gearset: Southbend Stg 3 clutch, single mass flywheel: BSH mounts : EBC Yellowstuff pads
John/Cue\Publik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
sparker
Drag Race Newbie

My car has been at the dealer for a month!!!! Thank goodness for extended warranty. Long story short my clutch went out due to gear oil squirting on it from the input shaft seal. Of course the diff failed. So i get a new transmission flywheel(single mass) I may have to buy the clutch and pressure plate. All in all worth the wait thus far. With the exception of having to drive a base Imprezza.