GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Question Exhaust "gunk"

Ever since my car was stg 2 flashed and the turbo back installed, there is quite a bit more exhaust "gunk"showing on the rear hatch lid. My assumption is that with the less restrictive cat (200 metal cell high flow), it allows for less exhaust to be "filtered out" before the tail pipe.
Can someone please confirm this and/or offer some insight? Thanks.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
GolfMKV

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
   
Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Crispy21
Banned
 
Drives: 08' UG 6MT FSI
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Jerzz
Posts: 3,013
Lmaooo^
Crispy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Kwiksilver07
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Kwiksilver07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Silver GTI 6 spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,155
Weekly Washings solves your problem. I'm catless and my rear gets all sorts of dirty.
Kwiksilver07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
For the record...I do wash and wax that thing regularly and the orange looks great!
Thanks guys!
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree_hugger View Post
TEH PUMPKIN!
I know, I know...it requires an aquired taste
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
xatnys360
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: '07 GTi
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 482
I believe your initial assumption is correct. The stock downpipe has two cats and is quite restrictive - it should cook off a lot more unburnt fuel than a performance setup that uses only one racing cat. The gunk you are experiencing is probably unburnt fuel.
__________________
Revo Stage 2+, BSH TrueSeal, 3" Downpipe & Eurojet Catback, BFI Clean Catch, Snow + USRT dual nozzle w/m, NSP Vent Boost Gauge, H&R Sport Springs, Fluidampr Pulley, BSH Throttle Body Pipe, Godspeed FMIC, Autotech HPFP
xatnys360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
dj210
Autocross Champion
 
dj210's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 GTI DSG Revo Stg 2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 108
try removed cats and resonator... tips look like they came flat black.. and my friends hate driving behind me
__________________
08 GTI DSG
REVO Stg 2
Bsh True Seal Intake, Bsh DV relocation, Bsh VTA Catch Can, Bsh Pendulum mount, Ebay Downpipe, Resonator Delete
Weight Reduction Stg1... removed water from spare tire well
dj210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Elliott
Formula 2 Driver
 
Elliott's Avatar
 
Drives: BMP 07 MT MKV GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scottish but live in Spain.
Posts: 5,706
^off topic but how the hell did you get water in your spare tire well in the first place?
__________________
"meh" build thread
.My job is alloy wheel refurbishment so if anyone has any questions, ask away.
Check out my Facebook work page WheelFixItSpain.com.
n show your support.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
KenTX
No, Money Down!
 
KenTX's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI 4Dr
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 286
I have the same issue, and it's the the Stage 2 software running more rich. I ran my catted EJ downpipe with APR Stage 1 for many months, and didnt see a difference over the stock exhaust. However, as soon as I re-flashed to Stage 2, I noticed lots of soot on the hatch, and hitch mounted bike rack.
__________________
2007 GTI DSG / 4 Door
APR / Beltronics / THULE / TyrolSport / VCDS
KenTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption? I'm averaging 22-23mpg since the s2 flash. Please note that this is not pushing the car a whole lot and driving pretty civilized. Have even tried driving like a grandma with smooth off the line acceleration and still get ~23mpg
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Kwiksilver07
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Kwiksilver07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Silver GTI 6 spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption? I'm averaging 22-23mpg since the s2 flash. Please note that this is not pushing the car a whole lot and driving pretty civilized. Have even tried driving like a grandma with smooth off the line acceleration and still get ~23mpg
Running rich will add to fuel consumption but 22-23 is pretty low. Whats you average drive? City vs Highway? Speeds?

the best Ive seen my car do is 37.3 mpg in a trip. That tank I got an over all of 34/5 mpg. I try to stick to 2000-2200 rpms while highway cruising. This puts me at about 60ish mph. If I go to 70 or 80 mph I see my mpg drop to 28-30. Even now at 2+ I still see 30mpg. However I love to see it go from 30 to 9 when I get on it
Kwiksilver07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiksilver07 View Post
Running rich will add to fuel consumption but 22-23 is pretty low. Whats you average drive? City vs Highway? Speeds?

the best Ive seen my car do is 37.3 mpg in a trip. That tank I got an over all of 34/5 mpg. I try to stick to 2000-2200 rpms while highway cruising. This puts me at about 60ish mph. If I go to 70 or 80 mph I see my mpg drop to 28-30. Even now at 2+ I still see 30mpg. However I love to see it go from 30 to 9 when I get on it
wow...37.3!!; never in my car. The best I've seen in my car is 33 going about 65mph avg in a 1.5hr hwy drive. My daily commute is only about 10mi with only 25% being hwy. On the way there, there's a about a 2mi of pretty good curvy down hill and I may get 27 at the very most. On the way back I only get about 22-23mpg. I've been averaging 300-315mi per tank and topping it off with about 13-13.5 gal. The car runs great and no codes are present
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Kwiksilver07
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Kwiksilver07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Silver GTI 6 spd
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,155
Short trips will result in poor mpg unfortunately. I have a 20 mile trip to work and my car won't hit the 30mpg mark until there is about 4/5 mi left. It stays at 25/6 until about 3/4 the way through my commute. I drive about 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. Take it for a nice loooonnnggg drive and you will see it pic it back up a bit. If i drive only my commute and around town stuff, my mpg will drop hard. I will usually drive from Milwaukee to Madison 100mi once a month just to stretch its legs and bring back the fuel economy.
Kwiksilver07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiksilver07 View Post
Short trips will result in poor mpg unfortunately. I have a 20 mile trip to work and my car won't hit the 30mpg mark until there is about 4/5 mi left. It stays at 25/6 until about 3/4 the way through my commute. I drive about 2/3 highway, 1/3 city. Take it for a nice loooonnnggg drive and you will see it pic it back up a bit. If i drive only my commute and around town stuff, my mpg will drop hard. I will usually drive from Milwaukee to Madison 100mi once a month just to stretch its legs and bring back the fuel economy.
Thanks for the feedback!
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
KenTX
No, Money Down!
 
KenTX's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI 4Dr
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption?
Yes, rich=more fuel, which usually gives you more power. Downsides can be lower fuel economy, more exhaust soot, fouled spark plugs/cats/o2 sensors, and oil contamination. The FSI is one of the dirtiest engines I've ever seen right out of the factory, and tuning it wont help.

Running lean = less fuel. Downsides can be higher engine/exhaust temps, pinging (detonation), loss of power, and in extreme cases, catastrophic failure.

My city mpg is usually in the mid to high teens, and I can pull maybe 24 if I drive like a grandma. I have no self control, so I pay at the pump.
__________________
2007 GTI DSG / 4 Door
APR / Beltronics / THULE / TyrolSport / VCDS
KenTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Jekyll
Word.
 
Drives: Fahrenheit #977
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincy
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTX View Post
Yes, rich=more fuel, which usually gives you more power. Downsides can be lower fuel economy, more exhaust soot, fouled spark plugs/cats/o2 sensors, and oil contamination. The FSI is one of the dirtiest engines I've ever seen right out of the factory, and tuning it wont help.

Running lean = less fuel. Downsides can be higher engine/exhaust temps, pinging (detonation), loss of power, and in extreme cases, catastrophic failure.

My city mpg is usually in the mid to high teens, and I can pull maybe 24 if I drive like a grandma. I have no self control, so I pay at the pump.
Well explained KenTX, thanks.

Anyone know what the numbers are for lean vs rich and what the ideal is for stg2? Thanks in advance.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.