GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oil!!!

jaicaneso

hey guys,

i am a noooob! the noobest of noobs when it comes to cars. i have no idea how to change oil. i need help and fast. my gti is currently at 45k and i dont wanna pay 600+ for service:mad0259:. what kind of oil do i use? and i hear you cant switch out the oil filter. true? gah! thank you guys in advance for the help. :thumbup:

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Don't panic.

Search DIY oil change up top.

I use 5w-30 royal purple. Or use can use oil from the filter. For a while i used 5w40 mobile 1 for Turbo trucks. Burned way less oil than i do now with royal purple.

Yes you can change the oil filter. I use a fram filter from local auto parts store. Or you can get one from the dealer.

Sent from my brain using rice.

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
Rotella T6 diesel oil, does just as well as motul x-cess and mobile 1 for half the price.

Royal purple is shit and no way would I put a dyed oil in my car.

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
I like my royal purple. Maybe its the same as any other oil. But its not shit.

Sent from my brain using rice.

TheeFT

That One Guy
Car(s)
Germans
Royal Purple is not shit, i've used it before and my car ran great, but I started using scheaffers oil instead as its better oil than royal purple and AMSoil, better wear protection than any oil out there except maybe on par with castrol edge or pennzoil platinum.

anywho use a 5-W30 full synthetic either mobil or castrol as just basline oil if your not going to tune or F with the car, if your going start tuning your car then use a Royal Purple or AMSoil 5-W30. you get a Fram filter from autozone, advacne or oreillys for bout $10 bucks or goto your dealer and get a VW or Mann filter bout $12 bucks.

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
Because royal purple has been proven to shear horribly in any weight over anything resembling a normal oil change interval. It's not designed to be used as an everyday oil, its designed to be a low friction, high performance oil that should be changed out after a hard run.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
AMSOIL baby... AMSOIL! #1

dsparks91

power to the people
Car(s)
06 gti
its so easy to change you oil.
i work at VW and change oil on Volkswagens.

you'll need ~4.8 quarts for the fsi
and ~5.0 quarts for the tsi

take your time also if your going to be changing your oil you might want to look at your drain plug if it is a 18mm painted black get a 19mm unpainted from the dealership. the 18mm has a tendancy to strip out oilpans over time.

also i know that some VWs are running a sale right now thats like 65$ and we check over everything basic.